Femoro-acetabular impingement and hip pain with conventionally normal x-rays.
AffiliationOrthopaedic Research Foundation, Sports Surgery Clinic, Santry, Dublin 9.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFemoro-acetabular impingement and hip pain with conventionally normal x-rays. 2010, 103 (6):184-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThere has in recent years been a fundamental change in the understanding of hip pain in the young adult and hip pain without plain radiographic findings of arthritis. Pain in these groups has long represented a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. With new appreciation of hip biomechanics, pathological processes and the arrival of modern imaging modalities we now have a greater understanding of non-arthritic hip pathology. One of the commonest yet least well recognized 'new' diagnoses around the hip is femoro-acetabular impingement (FAI). FAI is a developmental condition of the hip joint that is associated with abnormal anatomical configuration and thus joint mechanics on either the femoral or acetabular sides or both. It is hypothesized to have a variety of precipitants and may ultimately lead to labral and chondral injury and what has previously been referred to as 'primary' or 'idiopathic' hip osteoarthritis.
- Femoral acetabular impingement and osteoarthrosis in a patient with hip pain.
- Authors: Macdonald CW, Mintken PE
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Arthroscopic management of femoroacetabular impingement: early outcomes measures.
- Authors: Larson CM, Giveans MR
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Treatment of femoro-acetabular impingement with surgical dislocation and débridement in young adults.
- Authors: Peters CL, Erickson JA
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Treatment of anterior femoroacetabular impingement with combined hip arthroscopy and limited anterior decompression.
- Authors: Clohisy JC, McClure JT
- Issue date: 2005
- Treatment of femoro-acetabular impingement: preliminary results of labral refixation.
- Authors: Espinosa N, Rothenfluh DA, Beck M, Ganz R, Leunig M
- Issue date: 2006 May