AffiliationChildren's University Hospital, Temple St, Dublin 1. email@example.com
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCumulative radiation exposure in children with cystic fibrosis. 2010, 103 (2):43-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis retrospective study calculated the cumulative radiation dose for children with cystic fibrosis (CF) attending a tertiary CF centre. Information on 77 children with a mean age of 9.5 years, a follow up time of 658 person years and 1757 studies including 1485 chest radiographs, 215 abdominal radiographs and 57 computed tomography (CT) scans, of which 51 were thoracic CT scans, were analysed. The average cumulative radiation dose was 6.2 (0.04-25) mSv per CF patient. Cumulative radiation dose increased with increasing age and number of CT scans and was greater in children who presented with meconium ileus. No correlation was identified between cumulative radiation dose and either lung function or patient microbiology cultures. Radiation carries a risk of malignancy and children are particularly susceptible. Every effort must be made to avoid unnecessary radiation exposure in these patients whose life expectancy is increasing.
- Radiation dose from common radiological investigations and cumulative exposure in children with cystic fibrosis: an observational study from a single UK centre.
- Authors: Ward R, Carroll WD, Cunningham P, Ho SA, Jones M, Lenney W, Thompson D, Gilchrist FJ
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 21
- Estimation of the radiation dose from thoracic CT scans in a cystic fibrosis population.
- Authors: Donadieu J, Roudier C, Saguintaah M, Maccia C, Chiron R
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Pulmonary disease in cystic fibrosis: assessment with chest CT at chest radiography dose levels.
- Authors: Ernst CW, Basten IA, Ilsen B, Buls N, Van Gompel G, De Wachter E, Nieboer KH, Verhelle F, Malfroot A, Coomans D, De Maeseneer M, de Mey J
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Radiologic imaging in cystic fibrosis: cumulative effective dose and changing trends over 2 decades.
- Authors: O'Connell OJ, McWilliams S, McGarrigle A, O'Connor OJ, Shanahan F, Mullane D, Eustace J, Maher MM, Plant BJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Restricting indications for sinonasal computed tomography in children with cystic fibrosis.
- Authors: Cavel O, Quintal MC, Marcotte JÉ, Garel L, Froehlich P
- Issue date: 2013 Jan