New technologies in the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infection.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Microbiology, RCSI Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, PO Box 9063 Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Drug Delivery Systems
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNew technologies in the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infection. 2010, 40 (2):161-4 J R Coll Physicians Edinb
JournalThe journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
AbstractThe increased interest in healthcare-associated infection (HCAI) among the public, patients and politicians has led to the development of potential new approaches to its prevention by industrial concerns and others. Such developments include better methods of assessing hospital hygiene, enhanced decontamination of the healthcare environment, biosynthetic tissue alternatives, antibiotic-impregnated medical devices and information technology that can help improve professional practice. Although promising, many of these have not been adequately evaluated in the clinical setting, highlighting the need for greater collaboration between industry and infection prevention and control practitioners to maximise the benefit of new products and to complement conventional approaches to HCAI prevention such as education, professional practice and the provision of better facilities.
- epic2: National evidence-based guidelines for preventing healthcare-associated infections in NHS hospitals in England.
- Authors: Pratt RJ, Pellowe CM, Wilson JA, Loveday HP, Harper PJ, Jones SR, McDougall C, Wilcox MH
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- [Development of antituberculous drugs: current status and future prospects].
- Authors: Tomioka H, Namba K
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Controversies in infection: infection control or antibiotic stewardship to control healthcare-acquired infection?
- Authors: Gould IM
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Self-disinfecting and microbiocide-impregnated surfaces and fabrics: what potential in interrupting the spread of healthcare-associated infection?
- Authors: Humphreys H
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Hand hygiene and infection in hospitals: what do the public know; what should the public know?
- Authors: Fletcher M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec