AffiliationDepartment of Neuropathology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, UK.
Spinal Cord Neoplasms
MetadataShow full item record
Citation20 year old lady with a paraspinal mass. 2010, 20 (3):683-4 Brain Pathol.
JournalBrain pathology (Zurich, Switzerland)
AbstractA 20 year old female presented with a 4 month history of right upper limb pain and paraesthesias. She had no systemic symptoms and no prior medical or family history of note. MRI revealed a right-sided intradural extramedullary mass extending from C7-T1 and displacing the spinal cord. While awaiting surgery her symptoms progressed to involve the right lower limb. She was re-imaged and the lesion now extended from C5 to T3 with spinal cord compression at C7-T1. The radiological features and recent rapid growth were felt to be in keeping with a large plexiform neurofibroma. The patient underwent emergency resection of the lesion and pathology revealed Hodgkin's Lymphoma (HL)-mixed cellularity type. A mediastinal mass was identified on further imaging and biopsy confirmed the diagnosis of HL-stage IV. The patient is currently undergoing treatment with ABVD chemotherapy. CNS-HL is extremely rare and may occur de novo or in association with systemic disease. Lesions may be parenchymal or dural based and are usually intracranial with an increased risk of CNS involvement in HL-mixed-cellularity type as in our patient. This is the first report in the literature of CNS-HL radiologically mimicking a paraspinal plexiform neurofibroma.
- Cervical radiculopathy secondary to Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Al-Khayat H, Al-Khayat H, Al-Baker O, Groof A, Sadeq A, Hayati H, Zarka ZA
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the spine after radiation therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Adamson DC, Cummings TJ, Friedman AH
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct
- Cervical spinal meningioma mimicking intramedullary spinal tumor.
- Authors: Senturk S, Guzel A, Guzel E, Bayrak AH, Sav A
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 1
- Primary spinal extranodal Hodgkin's disease at two levels.
- Authors: Cağavi F, Kalayci M, Tekin IO, Numanoğlu G, Cağavi Z, Gül S, Açikgöz B
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Intradural, extramedullary spinal sarcoidosis: report of a rare case and review of the literature.
- Authors: Schaller B, Kruschat T, Schmidt H, Brück W, Buchfelder M, Ludwig HC
- Issue date: 2006 Mar-Apr