AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Receptor, Epidermal Growth Factor
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAldosterone as a renal growth factor., 75 (8-9):550-4 Steroids
AbstractAldosterone regulates blood pressure through its effects on the cardiovascular system and kidney. Aldosterone can also contribute to the development of hypertension that leads to chronic pathologies such as nephropathy and renal fibrosis. Aldosterone directly modulates renal cell proliferation and differentiation as part of normal kidney development. The stimulation of rapidly activated protein kinase cascades is one facet of how aldosterone regulates renal cell growth. These cascades may also contribute to myofibroblastic transformation and cell proliferation observed in pathological conditions of the kidney. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic disorder that is accelerated by hypertension. EGFR-dependent proliferation of the renal epithelium is a factor in cyst development and trans-activation of EGFR is a key feature in initiating aldosterone-induced signalling cascades. Delineating the components of aldosterone-induced signalling cascades may identify novel therapeutic targets for proliferative diseases of the kidney.
- Global upregulation of gene expression associated with renal dysfunction in DOCA-salt-induced hypertensive rats occurs via signaling cascades involving epidermal growth factor receptor: a microarray analysis.
- Authors: Benter IF, Canatan H, Benboubetra M, Yousif MH, Akhtar S
- Issue date: 2009 Aug-Sep
- Aldosterone stimulates epidermal growth factor receptor expression.
- Authors: Krug AW, Grossmann C, Schuster C, Freudinger R, Mildenberger S, Govindan MV, Gekle M
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 31
- Aldosterone-stimulated PKC signalling cascades: from receptor to effector.
- Authors: Thomas W, McEneaney V, Harvey BJ
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Aldosterone-induced EGFR expression: interaction between the human mineralocorticoid receptor and the human EGFR promoter.
- Authors: Grossmann C, Krug AW, Freudinger R, Mildenberger S, Voelker K, Gekle M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor-1 expression renders Chinese hamster ovary cells sensitive to alternative aldosterone signaling.
- Authors: Krug AW, Schuster C, Gassner B, Freudinger R, Mildenberger S, Troppmair J, Gekle M
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 29