AffiliationDept of Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and Beaumont Hospital, Dublin.
Surgical Wound Infection
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEvolving issues in the prevention of surgical site infections. 2009, 7 (3):170-2 Surgeon
JournalThe surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland
AbstractSurgical site infection is one of the more common causes of post-operative morbidity. Such infections contribute to prolonged recovery, delayed discharge and increasing costs to both patients and the health service. In the current climate increased emphasis is being placed on minimising the risks of acquiring or transmitting these nosocomial infections. This article reviews the current literature obtained from a Pubmed database search in relation to three specific aspects of surgical site infection: compliance with prophylactic antibiotics, post-discharge surveillance and novel methods for preventing surgical site infections. These topics represent areas where many institutions will find room for improvement in the prevention of surgical site infections. Tight adherence to prophylactic antibiotic guidelines, close followup of surgical wounds during and after hospital discharge, and attention to oxygenation status and the body temperature of patients may all prove to be useful adjuncts in significantly decreasing surgical site infections.
- Prophylactic antibiotics and prevention of surgical site infections.
- Authors: Najjar PA, Smink DS
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) related complications in surgical patients.
- Authors: Gurusamy KS, Koti R, Wilson P, Davidson BR
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 19
- Dressing the part.
- Authors: Cho CY, Lo JS
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- The Importance of Perioperative Prophylaxis with Cefuroxime or Ceftriaxone in the Surgical Site Infections Prevention after Cranial and Spinal Neurosurgical Procedures.
- Authors: Dimovska-Gavrilovska A, Chaparoski A, Gavrilovski A, Milenkovikj Z
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 1
- Is antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery a generally effective intervention? Testing a generic hypothesis over a set of meta-analyses.
- Authors: Bowater RJ, Stirling SA, Lilford RJ
- Issue date: 2009 Apr