Day case shoulder surgery: satisfactory pain control without regional anaesthesia. A prospective analysis of a perioperative protocol.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland, email@example.com.
Aged, 80 and over
Ambulatory Surgical Procedures
Health Status Indicators
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDay case shoulder surgery: satisfactory pain control without regional anaesthesia. A prospective analysis of a perioperative protocol. 2009, 178 (1):57-60 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractPain control is an issue which may limit patients' acceptance of day case shoulder surgery. This study prospectively examined the outcome of a protocol for day case shoulder surgery to determine if satisfactory pain relief could be achieved without regional anaesthesia.
Patients attended for pre-assessment and were informed about the procedure and day case protocol. Anaesthesia used was either a regional anaesthetic block or subacromial bursal block. Patients were discharged with a standard pain pack. All 117 operations were performed arthroscopically. Patients were contacted 24 h following surgery by an independent observer.
Based on 90 completed surveys, all patients were satisfied. Pain was well controlled in 85% of patients but 50% of the remaining patients did not take the prescribed pain pack. Problems other than pain were seen in only 4% of patients. No patients required overnight admission.
Our study indicates a very high level of patient satisfaction and good pain relief without the use of regional anaesthesia for patients undergoing shoulder surgery as a day case.
- Patient perceptions and recall of consent for regional anaesthesia compared with consent for surgery.
- Authors: Zarnegar R, Brown MR, Henley M, Tidman V, Pathmanathan A
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Blood pressure response to combined general anaesthesia/interscalene brachial plexus block for outpatient shoulder arthroscopy.
- Authors: Janssen H, Stosch Rv, Pöschl R, Büttner B, Bauer M, Hinz JM, Bergmann I
- Issue date: 2014
- Inguinal hernia repair: anaesthesia, pain and convalescence.
- Authors: Callesen T
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Continuous interscalene brachial plexus block via an ultrasound-guided posterior approach: a randomized, triple-masked, placebo-controlled study.
- Authors: Mariano ER, Afra R, Loland VJ, Sandhu NS, Bellars RH, Bishop ML, Cheng GS, Choy LP, Maldonado RC, Ilfeld BM
- Issue date: 2009 May
- A randomized study of the effectiveness of suprascapular nerve block in patient satisfaction and outcome after arthroscopic subacromial decompression.
- Authors: Jeske HC, Kralinger F, Wambacher M, Perwanger F, Schoepf R, Oberladstaetter J, Krappinger D, Dallapozza C, Hoffmann F
- Issue date: 2011 Oct