Evaluation of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients at increased risk for difficult tracheal intubation.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEvaluation of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients at increased risk for difficult tracheal intubation. 2008, 63 (2):182-8 Anaesthesia
AbstractThe Airtraq, a novel single use indirect laryngoscope, has demonstrated promise in the normal and simulated difficult airway. We compared the ease of intubation using the Airtraq with the Macintosh laryngoscope, in patients at increased risk for difficult tracheal intubation, in a randomised, controlled clinical trial. Forty consenting patients presenting for surgery requiring tracheal intubation, who were deemed to possess at least three characteristics indicating an increased risk for difficulty in tracheal intubation, were randomly assigned to undergo tracheal intubation using a Macintosh (n = 20) or Airtraq (n = 20) laryngoscope. All patients were intubated by one of three anaesthetists experienced in the use of both laryngoscopes. Four patients were not successfully intubated with the Macintosh laryngoscope, but were intubated successfully with the Airtraq. The Airtraq reduced the duration of intubation attempts (mean (SD); 13.4 (6.3) vs 47.7 (8.5) s), the need for additional manoeuvres, and the intubation difficulty score (0.4 (0.8) vs 7.7 (3.0)). Tracheal intubation with the Airtraq also reduced the degree of haemodynamic stimulation and minor trauma compared to the Macintosh laryngoscope.
- A comparison of tracheal intubation using the Airtraq or the Macintosh laryngoscope in routine airway management: A randomised, controlled clinical trial.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, O'Croinin D, Curley G, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Endotracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of macintosh and airtraq laryngoscopes.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Buckley E, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Comparison of the Airtraq and Truview laryngoscopes to the Macintosh laryngoscope for use by Advanced Paramedics in easy and simulated difficult intubation in manikins.
- Authors: Nasim S, Maharaj CH, Butt I, Malik MA, O' Donnell J, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 13
- Airtraq optical laryngoscope: tracheal intubation by novice laryngoscopists.
- Authors: Hirabayashi Y, Seo N
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- A comparison between the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes for routine airway management by experienced anesthesiologists: a randomized clinical trial.
- Authors: Chalkeidis O, Kotsovolis G, Kalakonas A, Filippidou M, Triantafyllou C, Vaikos D, Koutsioumpas E
- Issue date: 2010 Mar