Endotracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of macintosh and airtraq laryngoscopes.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEndotracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of macintosh and airtraq laryngoscopes. 2007, 107 (1):53-9 Anesthesiology
AbstractThe Airtraq laryngoscope (Prodol Ltd., Vizcaya, Spain) is a novel single-use tracheal intubation device. The authors compared ease of intubation with the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization in a randomized, controlled clinical trial.
Forty consenting patients presenting for surgery requiring tracheal intubation were randomly assigned to undergo intubation using a Macintosh (n = 20) or Airtraq (n = 20) laryngoscope. All patients were intubated by one of four anesthesiologists experienced in the use of both laryngoscopes.
No significant differences in demographic or airway variables were observed between the groups. All but one patient, in the Macintosh group, were successfully intubated on the first attempt. The Airtraq reduced the duration of intubation attempts (mean +/- SD: 13.2 +/- 5.5 vs. 20.3 +/- 12.2 s), the need for additional maneuvers, and the intubation difficulty scale score (0.1 +/- 0.5 vs. 2.7 +/- 2.5). Tracheal intubation with the Airtraq caused fewer alterations in blood pressure and heart rate.
These findings demonstrate the utility of the Airtraq laryngoscope for tracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization.
- A comparison of tracheal intubation using the Airtraq or the Macintosh laryngoscope in routine airway management: A randomised, controlled clinical trial.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, O'Croinin D, Curley G, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Evaluation of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients at increased risk for difficult tracheal intubation.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Costello JF, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- [A comparison of Airtraq™ laryngoscope and standard direct laryngoscopy in adult patients with immobilized cervical spine].
- Authors: Amor M, Nabil S, Bensghir M, Moussaoui A, Kabbaj S, Kamili ND, Maazouzi W
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Comparison of the C-MAC®, Airtraq®, and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients undergoing tracheal intubation with cervical spine immobilization.
- Authors: McElwain J, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- A comparison between the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes for routine airway management by experienced anesthesiologists: a randomized clinical trial.
- Authors: Chalkeidis O, Kotsovolis G, Kalakonas A, Filippidou M, Triantafyllou C, Vaikos D, Koutsioumpas E
- Issue date: 2010 Mar