Evaluation of intubation using the Airtraq or Macintosh laryngoscope by anaesthetists in easy and simulated difficult laryngoscopy--a manikin study.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEvaluation of intubation using the Airtraq or Macintosh laryngoscope by anaesthetists in easy and simulated difficult laryngoscopy--a manikin study. 2006, 61 (5):469-77 Anaesthesia
AbstractThe Airtraq Laryngoscope is a novel intubation device which allows visualisation of the vocal cords without alignment of the oral, pharyngeal and tracheal axes. We compared the Airtraq with the Macintosh laryngoscope in simulated easy and difficult laryngoscopy. Twenty-five anaesthetists were allowed up to three attempts to intubate the trachea in each of three laryngoscopy scenarios using a Laerdal Intubation Trainer followed by five scenarios using a Laerdal SimMan Manikin. Each anaesthetist then performed tracheal intubation of the normal airway a second time to characterise the learning curve. In the simulated easy laryngoscopy scenarios, there was no difference between the Airtraq and the Macintosh in success of tracheal intubation. The time taken to intubate at the end of the protocol was significantly lower using the Airtraq (9.5 (6.7) vs. 14.2 (7.4) s), demonstrating a rapid acquisition of skills. In the simulated difficult laryngoscopy scenarios, the Airtraq was more successful in achieving tracheal intubation, required less time to intubate successfully, caused less dental trauma, and was considered by the anaesthetists to be easier to use.
- Learning and performance of tracheal intubation by novice personnel: a comparison of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscope.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Costello JF, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Comparison of the Glidescope, the Pentax AWS, and the Truview EVO2 with the Macintosh laryngoscope in experienced anaesthetists: a manikin study.
- Authors: Malik MA, O'Donoghue C, Carney J, Maharaj CH, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Tracheal intubation by inexperienced medical residents using the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes--a manikin study.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Ni Chonghaile M, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Comparison of the C-MAC videolaryngoscope with the Macintosh, Glidescope, and Airtraq laryngoscopes in easy and difficult laryngoscopy scenarios in manikins.
- Authors: McElwain J, Malik MA, Harte BH, Flynn NM, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Comparison of the Airtraq and Truview laryngoscopes to the Macintosh laryngoscope for use by Advanced Paramedics in easy and simulated difficult intubation in manikins.
- Authors: Nasim S, Maharaj CH, Butt I, Malik MA, O' Donnell J, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 13