ACTH-secreting bronchial carcinoid: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Royal College of Surgeons, Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, Ireland. John.McDermott1@mailc.hse.ie
MeSHACTH Syndrome, Ectopic
Pituitary ACTH Hypersecretion
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationACTH-secreting bronchial carcinoid: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. 2008, 177 (3):269-72 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractWe describe a case of Cushing's syndrome due to ectopic ACTH secretion, where the only potential source on conventional imaging was a tiny benign-appearing lung nodule, which failed to take up radiolabelled octreotide.
To determine whether the patient might respond to therapeutic administration of octreotide, a test dose was given.
Compared to ACTH and cortisol levels on a control day, the levels following the test dose of octreotide were lower. Subsequent therapeutic administration of subcutaneous octreotide normalised urine free cortisol, with symptomatic improvement, pending evaluation for surgery. Eventual resection of the lung nodule resulted in cure of hypercortisolism. Histological examination of the resected specimen confirmed bronchial carcinoid staining positive for ACTH.
This is one of the few cases described where ectopic ACTH secretion secondary to bronchial carcinoid responded to somatostatin analogue therapy. The case was also unusual in that the tumour responded despite not taking up radiolabelled octreotide.
- Ectopic ACTH syndrome caused by bronchial carcinoid tumor indistinguishable from Cushing's disease.
- Authors: Tani Y, Sugiyama T, Hirooka S, Izumiyama H, Hirata Y
- Issue date: 2010
- Ectopic ACTH syndrome due to bronchial carcinoid tumour--a case report.
- Authors: Agarwal A, Mehrotra R, Mishra SK, Mithal A, Jain M, Gupta RK
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Use of radioguided surgery with [111In]-pentetreotide in the management of an ACTH-secreting bronchial carcinoid causing ectopic Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Grossrubatscher E, Vignati F, Dalino P, Possa M, Belloni PA, Vanzulli A, Bramerio M, Marocchi A, Rossetti O, Zurleni F, Loli P
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Ectopic ACTH syndrome caused by pulmonary carcinoid tumourlets.
- Authors: Povedano ST, Pastor CV, Seoane CP, Reina LJ, Moreno MA, Ortega RP, López-Rubio F, López PB
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Somatostatin analogs for the localization and preoperative treatment of an adrenocorticotropin-secreting bronchial carcinoid tumor.
- Authors: Phlipponneau M, Nocaudie M, Epelbaum J, De Keyzer Y, Lalau JD, Marchandise X, Bertagna X
- Issue date: 1994 Jan