AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland. email@example.com
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Soft Tissue Injuries
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA rare cause of calf swelling: the Morel-Lavallee lesion. 2011, 180 (1):265-8 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractCalf swelling is a common clinical presentation with a wide and varied differential diagnosis. The Morel-Lavallee is a rare cause of subcutaneous swelling, caused by post-traumatic shearing of the hypodermis from the underlying fascia. The potential space so created fills with blood, lymph and necrotic fat giving specific findings on MR evaluation.
A case of a 53-year-old man with calf swelling is presented, with clinical and MRI correlation. Treatment options and clinical course are discussed.
The Morel-Lavallee lesion is a rare but important cause of calf swelling. MRI is the mainstay of diagnosis and treatment includes both surgical and minimally invasive modalities.
- All That Swells Is Not A Bruise The Morel-Lavallée Lesion.
- Authors: Callahan CL, Eisenman J
- Issue date: 2016 Spring
- Morel-Lavallee lesion: case report of a rare extensive degloving soft tissue injury.
- Authors: Gummalla KM, George M, Dutta R
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Diagnosis and Management of Closed Internal Degloving Injuries: The Morel-Lavallée Lesion.
- Authors: Jalota L, Ukaigwe A, Jain S
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- The Morel-Lavallée lesion: pathophysiology, clinical presentation, imaging features, and treatment options.
- Authors: Bonilla-Yoon I, Masih S, Patel DB, White EA, Levine BD, Chow K, Gottsegen CJ, Matcuk GR Jr
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Morel-Lavallee lesion.
- Authors: Powers ML, Hatem SF, Sundaram M
- Issue date: 2007 Apr