The impact of the National Treatment Purchase Fund on numbers of core urology training cases at University Hospital Galway.
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, University College Hospital Galway, Galway City, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Education, Medical, Graduate
Internship and Residency
Urologic Surgical Procedures
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe impact of the National Treatment Purchase Fund on numbers of core urology training cases at University Hospital Galway. 2011, 9 (3):147-9 Surgeon
JournalThe surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland
AbstractSince the National Treatment Purchase Fund (NTPF) scheme was introduced in 2002, public patients waiting longer than three months for investigations and treatment are offered care in the private medical sector. Our aim was to assess the impact of the NTPF scheme on the number of training cases performed at University Hospital Galway (UHG). The number and type of urological procedures performed in the private medical sector under the NTFP scheme in 2008 were obtained from the UHG waiting list office. The number of these procedures performed on public patients by trainees at UHG in 2008 was determined retrospectively by reviewing theatre records. A significant number of core urology procedures were performed in the private sector via the NTPF scheme. Cancer centre designation and implementation of the EWTD will also place further pressures on urological training opportunities in Ireland.
- Training potential in minimally invasive surgery in a tertiary care, paediatric urology centre.
- Authors: Schroeder RP, Chrzan RJ, Klijn AJ, Kuijper CF, Dik P, de Jong TP
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Skills acquisition for trainee urologists: are the Federal Medical Centers in Nigeria suitable?
- Authors: Ajape AA, Kura MM, Ojo EO, Ibrahim AG, Obiano SK
- Issue date: 2012 Jul-Sep
- The NCI All Ireland Cancer Conference.
- Authors: Johnston PG, Daly PA, Liu E
- Issue date: 1999
- The impact of a fellowship on resident training in an academic pediatric urology practice.
- Authors: Duffy JW 3rd, Thomas JC, Makari JH, Gold DG, Demarco RT, Adams MC, Pope JC 4th, Brock JW 3rd
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Accreditation council on graduate medical education technical skills competency compliance: urologic surgical skills.
- Authors: Hammond L, Ketchum J, Schwartz BF
- Issue date: 2005 Sep