AffiliationDepartment of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Spinal Cord Injuries
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSegmental fracture of the lumbar spine. 2010, 35 (21):E1141-3 Spine
AbstractA case report is presented.
To describe a rare, previously undescribed pattern of spinal injury.
This seems to be a unique injury with no previously described injuries matching the fracture pattern observed.
This is a case report based on the experience of the authors. The discussion includes a short literature review based on pubmed searches.
We report the case of a 26-year-old female cyclist involved in a road traffic accident with a truck resulting in complete disruption of the lumbar spine. The cyclist was caught on the inside of a truck turning left and seems to have passed under the rear wheels. She was brought to the local emergency department where, after appropriate resuscitation, trauma survey revealed spinal deformity with complete neurologic deficit below T12 and fractured pubic rami, soft tissue injuries to the perineum and multiple abrasions. Plain radiology showed a segmental fracture dislocation of her lumbar vertebrae, extending from the L1 superior endplate through to L4-L5 disc space. The entire segment was displaced in both anteroposterior and lateral planes. Computed tomography confirmed these injuries and ruled out significant visceral injury. She was transferred to the national spinal unit (author unit), where she underwent reduction and fixation with rods and screws from T9-S1, using one cross-link. After her immediate postoperative recovery, she was referred to the national rehabilitation unit.
Although so-called "en bloc" lumbar fractures have been previously described, the authors were unable to find any injury of this degree in the literature. This rare injury seems to show a pattern of spinal injury previously undescribed.
- Traumatic noncontiguous double fracture-dislocation of the lumbosacral spine.
- Authors: Cho SK, Lenke LG, Hanson D
- Issue date: 2006 Sep-Oct
- Traumatic posterior lumbosacral spondyloptosis in a six-year-old: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Verhelst L, Ackerman P, Van Meirhaeghe J
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 1
- [Lumbar Chance fracture in an child associated with an intra-abdominal lesion].
- Authors: Lesprit E, Pontailler JR, Vergnes P
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Direct reduction of thoracolumbar burst fractures by means of balloon kyphoplasty with calcium phosphate and stabilization with pedicle-screw instrumentation and fusion.
- Authors: Korovessis P, Repantis T, Petsinis G, Iliopoulos P, Hadjipavlou A
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 15
- Fracture and lateral dislocation of the T12-L1 vertebrae without neurological deficit--case report.
- Authors: Akay KM, Baysefer A, Kayali H, Beduk A, Timurkaynak E
- Issue date: 2003 May