AffiliationDepartment of Colorectal Surgery, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Carcinoma, Squamous Cell/*diagnosis/*therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurgeon. 2009 Aug;7(4):232-7.
JournalThe surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland
AbstractSquamous cell carcinoma ofthe anal canal represents 1.5% of all malignancies affectingthe gastrointestinal tract. Over the past 20 years dramatic changes have been seen in both the epidemiological distribution of the disease and in the therapeutic modalities utilised to manage it. CLINICAL MANAGEMENT: Historically abdominoperineal resection had been the treatment of choice with local resection reserved for early stage disease. Work by Nigro et al. has revolutionised how we currently manage carcinoma of the anal canal, demonstrating combined modality chemoradiotherapy as an appropriate alternative to surgical resection with the benefit of preserving sphincter function. Surgery is then reserved for recurrent disease with salvage abdominoperineal resection. This article reviews current literature and highlights the changing therapeutic modalities with selected clinical cases
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal.
- Authors: Morton M, Melnitchouk N, Bleday R
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Current management of squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal.
- Authors: Mendenhall WM, Sombeck MD, Speer TW, Marsh RD, Carroll RR, Copeland EM 3rd
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal. Predictors of initial treatment failure and results of salvage therapy.
- Authors: Longo WE, Vernava AM 3rd, Wade TP, Coplin MA, Virgo KS, Johnson FE
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- [Squamous cell cancer of the anal canal].
- Authors: Khysh VI, Timofeev IuM, Rottenberg VI
- Issue date: 1983
- Survival following salvage abdominoperineal resection for persistent and recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the anus: do these disease categories affect survival?
- Authors: Severino NP, Chadi SA, Rosen L, Coiro S, Choman E, Berho M, Wexner SD
- Issue date: 2016 Oct