Mesenteric venous thrombosis secondary to an unsuspected JAK2 V617F-positive myeloproliferative disorder.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Mayo General Hospital, Mayo, Ireland,, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Aug 20.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Mesenteric venous thrombosis (MVT) is a rare but potentially fatal cause of mesenteric ischaemia. It presents insidiously and often diagnosis is made at emergency surgery. In half of the cases MVT develops without a causative factor, while in cases in which a pro-thrombotic state is found to exist MVT may be the first clinically detected consequence of that state. The myeloproliferative disorders (MPD) are known to contribute to the development of pro-thrombotic states. Recently, the JAK2 V617F mutation has been associated with the MPDs. CONCLUSION: We describe a case of MVT occurring secondary to an unsuspected MPD, in which the patient was subsequently found to carry this mutation. We highlight the necessity to screen for this mutation in cases of intra-abdominal thromboses so that appropriate systemic anticoagulation may be instituted, and the patient may be followed so as to detect the development of an overt MPD.
- The JAK2 V617F mutation frequently occurs in patients with portal and mesenteric venous thrombosis.
- Authors: Colaizzo D, Amitrano L, Tiscia GL, Scenna G, Grandone E, Guardascione MA, Brancaccio V, Margaglione M
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Incidence of the JAK2 V617F mutation among patients with splanchnic or cerebral venous thrombosis and without overt chronic myeloproliferative disorders.
- Authors: De Stefano V, Fiorini A, Rossi E, Za T, Farina G, Chiusolo P, Sica S, Leone G
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Prevalence of JAK29V617F) mutation in intra-abdominal venous thrombosis.
- Authors: Deepak A, Punamiya S, Patel N, Parekh S, Mehta S, Shah N
- Issue date: 2011 Oct-Dec
- The JAK2 V617F mutation and thrombosis.
- Authors: Austin SK, Lambert JR
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- JAK2V617F mutation in patients with thrombosis: to screen or not to screen?
- Authors: Xavier SG, Gadelha T, Rezende SM, Zalcberg IR, Spector N
- Issue date: 2011 Apr