Delayed presentation of carotid artery dissection following major orthopaedic trauma resulting in dense hemiparesis.
AffiliationDepartment of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Mayo General Hospital, Westport Road,, Castlebar, County Mayo, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Carotid Artery, Internal, Dissection/complications/*radiography
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009 Apr;91(4):536-9.
JournalThe Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume
AbstractWe report a 30-year-old patient who was involved in a high-velocity road traffic accident and developed a left-sided hemiparesis, which was noted in the post-operative period following bilateral femoral intramedullary nailing. CT scanning of the brain revealed infarcts in the right frontal and parietal lobes in the distribution of the right middle cerebral artery. CT angiography showed occlusion of the right internal carotid artery consistent with internal carotid artery dissection. He was anticoagulated and nine months later was able to walk independently. An awareness of this injury is needed to diagnose blunt trauma to the internal carotid artery. Even in the absence of obvious neck trauma, carotid artery dissection should be suspected in patients with a neurological deficit in the peri-operative period.
- Dissection of the internal carotid artery and stroke after mandibular fractures: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Tveita IA, Madsen MRS, Nielsen EW
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 2
- Delayed diagnosis of blunt carotid trauma in a seat belt syndrome with associated abdominal wall injury A case report.
- Authors: Occhionorelli S, Andreotti D, Tartarini D, Cappellari L, Stano R, Morganti L, Vasquez G
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 28
- Delayed Presentation of a Carotid Artery Dissection Following Blunt Trauma in a Young Adult with Minimal Risk Factors.
- Authors: Talburt J, Cayton ST, Alwood S, Musso M
- Issue date: 2016 May-Jun
- Traumatic bilateral internal carotid artery dissection following airbag deployment in a patient with fibromuscular dysplasia.
- Authors: Duncan MA, Dowd N, Rawluk D, Cunningham AJ
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- Traumatic dissection of extracranial internal carotid artery and subclavian artery.
- Authors: Thussu A, Srivastava T, Singh P
- Issue date: 1999 Aug