AffiliationDepartment of Anesthesia, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland., Michelle.Duggan@hse.ie
Postoperative Complications/etiology/*prevention & control
Respiratory Function Tests
Respiratory Insufficiency/etiology/*prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBest Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2010 Jun;24(2):145-55.
JournalBest practice & research. Clinical anaesthesiology
AbstractPostoperative pulmonary complications contribute considerably to morbidity and mortality, especially after major thoracic or abdominal surgery. Clinically relevant pulmonary complications include the exacerbation of underlying chronic lung disease, bronchospasm, atelectasis, pneumonia and respiratory failure with prolonged mechanical ventilation. Risk factors for postoperative pulmonary complications include patient-related risk factors (e.g., chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), tobacco smoking and increasing age) as well as procedure-related risk factors (e.g., site of surgery, duration of surgery and general vs. regional anaesthesia). Careful history taking and a thorough physical examination may be the most sensitive ways to identify at-risk patients. Pulmonary function tests are not suitable as a general screen to assess risk of postoperative pulmonary complications. Strategies to reduce the risk of postoperative pulmonary complications include smoking cessation, inspiratory muscle training, optimising nutritional status and intra-operative strategies. Postoperative care should include lung expansion manoeuvres and adequate pain control.
- Postoperative care of the thoracotomy patient.
- Authors: Forshag MS, Cooper AD Jr
- Issue date: 1992 Mar
- Risk assessment for and strategies to reduce perioperative pulmonary complications for patients undergoing noncardiothoracic surgery: a guideline from the American College of Physicians.
- Authors: Qaseem A, Snow V, Fitterman N, Hornbake ER, Lawrence VA, Smetana GW, Weiss K, Owens DK, Aronson M, Barry P, Casey DE Jr, Cross JT Jr, Fitterman N, Sherif KD, Weiss KB, Clinical Efficacy Assessment Subcommittee of the American College of Physicians.
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 18
- [Postoperative respiratory failure in patients with cancer of esophagus and gastric cardia].
- Authors: Mao YS, Zhang DC, He J, Zhang RG, Cheng GY, Sun KL, Wang LJ, Yang L
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Strategies to reduce postoperative pulmonary complications after noncardiothoracic surgery: systematic review for the American College of Physicians.
- Authors: Lawrence VA, Cornell JE, Smetana GW, American College of Physicians.
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 18
- Physiotherapy in the perioperative period.
- Authors: Ambrosino N, Gabbrielli L
- Issue date: 2010 Jun