The effects of the European Working Time Directive on surgical training: the basic surgical trainee's perspective.
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Galway University Hospital, Galway, Republic of Ireland., Drbriankelly@hotmail.com
MeSHAttitude of Health Personnel
Internship and Residency/*organization & administration
Medical Staff, Hospital/education/organization & administration
Personnel Staffing and Scheduling/*legislation & jurisprudence
Quality of Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Jun;180(2):435-7. Epub 2011 Jan 6.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: On the 1 August 2009, the implementation of European Working Time Directive became European law and was implemented in Galway University Hospital (GUH). AIMS: The aim of the study is to ascertain the opinion of the 25 surgical SHOs in GUH on the effect of the implementation of an EWTD compliant roster had on the quality of their training. METHODS: A questionnaire was circulated to all 25 surgical SHOs. RESULTS: Twenty-two (88%) SHOs report a reduction in the quality of their training. 18 (72%) report a reduction in the development of their operative skills. The SHOs believed the EWTD Rotas would encourage Irish graduates to train abroad. CONCLUSIONS: Surgical training faces a challenge with the implementation of EWTD Rotas. Major changes need to be made to the surgical training structure to train surgeons to the highest standard and to retain Irish-trained surgeons in the Irish healthcare system.
- The European Working Time Directive: One for all and all for one?
- Authors: Morris-Stiff GJ, Sarasin S, Edwards P, Lewis WG, Lewis MH
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- A pilot project of European Working Time Directive compliant rosters in a university teaching hospital.
- Authors: Garvin JT, McLaughlin R, Kerin MJ
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- European Working Time Directive: implications for surgical training.
- Authors: Donohoe CL, Sayana MK, Kennedy MT, Niall DM
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Experience of plastic surgery registrars in a European Working Time Directive compliant rota.
- Authors: de Blacam C, Tierney S, Shelley O
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- The European Working Time Directive: a survey of surgical specialist registrars.
- Authors: Roche-Nagle G
- Issue date: 2004 Jun