Stellate ganglion blockade for analgesia following upper limb surgery.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Galway University, Hospital, Galway, Ireland.
Analgesics, Opioid/administration & dosage
Autonomic Nerve Block/*methods
Drug Administration Schedule
Fracture Fixation, Internal/methods
Morphine/administration & dosage
Pain, Postoperative/*prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnaesthesia. 2011 Jul;66(7):611-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2011.06626.x. Epub, 2011 May 31.
AbstractWe report the successful use of a stellate ganglion block as part of a multi-modal postoperative analgesic regimen. Four patients scheduled for orthopaedic surgery following upper limb trauma underwent blockade of the stellate ganglion pre-operatively under ultrasound guidance. Patients reported excellent postoperative analgesia, with postoperative VAS pain scores between 0 and 2, and consumption of morphine in the first 24 h ranging from 0 to 14 mg. While these are preliminary findings, and must be confirmed in a clinical trial, they highlight the potential for stellate ganglion blockade to provide analgesia following major upper limb surgery.
- Stellate ganglion block for postoperative analgesia in patients with upper extremity orthopaedic injuries.
- Authors: Karnwal A, Liao W, Julka IS, Kakazu CZ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Analgesic efficacy of pre-operative stellate ganglion block on postoperative pain relief: a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Kumar N, Thapa D, Gombar S, Ahuja V, Gupta R
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Thermal Versus Super Voltage Pulsed Radiofrequency of Stellate Ganglion in Post-Mastectomy Neuropathic Pain Syndrome: A Prospective Randomized Trial.
- Authors: Abbas DN, Reyad RM
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Evaluation of early postoperative pain and the effectiveness of perifracture site injections following volar plating for distal radius fractures.
- Authors: Chung MS, Roh YH, Baek GH, Lee YH, Rhee SH, Gong HS
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Ultrasound-guided bilateral stellate ganglion blockade to treat digital ischemia in a patient with sepsis: a case report.
- Authors: Bataille B, Nucci B, Mora M, Silva S, Cocquet P
- Issue date: 2016 Jan