Extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation in the management of 2009 influenza A (H1N1) refractory respiratory failure.
AffiliationDepartment of 1Infectious Disease, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9.
Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
*Influenza A Virus, H1N1 Subtype
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2011 Mar;104(3):90-1.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractRapidly progressive acute respiratory failure attributed to 2009 H1N1 influenza A infection has been reported worldwide-3. Refractory hypoxaemia despite conventional mechanical ventilation and lung protective strategies has resulted in the use a combination of rescue therapies, such as conservative fluid management, prone positioning, inhaled nitric oxide, high frequency oscillatory ventilation and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)4. ECMO allows for pulmonary or cardiopulmonary support as an adjunct to respiratory and cardiac failure, minimising ventilator-associated lung injury (VALI). This permits treatment of the underlying disease process, while concurrently allowing for recovery of the acute lung injury. This case documents a previously healthy twenty-two year old Asian male patient with confirmed pandemic (H 1N1) 2009 influenza A who was successfully managed with ECMO in the setting of severe refractory hypoxaemia and progressive hypercapnia.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for severe refractory respiratory failure secondary to 2009 H1N1 influenza A.
- Authors: Turner DA, Rehder KJ, Peterson-Carmichael SL, Ozment CP, Al-Hegelan MS, Williford WL, Peters MA, Noble PW, Cheifetz IM
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Rescue therapy in adult and pediatric patients with pH1N1 influenza infection: a tertiary center intensive care unit experience from April to October 2009.
- Authors: Norfolk SG, Hollingsworth CL, Wolfe CR, Govert JA, Que LG, Cheifetz IM, Hollingsworth JW
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the context of the 2009 H1N1 influenza A pandemic.
- Authors: Sihler KC, Park PK
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for 2009 influenza A (H1N1) acute respiratory distress syndrome: single-centre experience with 1-year follow-up.
- Authors: Beurtheret S, Mastroianni C, Pozzi M, D'Alessandro C, Luyt CE, Combes A, Pavie A, Leprince P
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Use of extracorporeal membrane lung assist device (Novalung) in H1N1 patients.
- Authors: Johnson P, Fröhlich S, Westbrook A
- Issue date: 2011 Jul