The health care journeys experienced by people with epilepsy in Ireland: what are the implications for future service reform and development?
AffiliationEpilepsy Research Department, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Delivery of Health Care/*methods
Health Services Needs and Demand/*statistics & numerical data
Interviews as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEpilepsy Behav. 2011 Feb;20(2):299-307. Epub 2010 Dec 30.
JournalEpilepsy & behavior : E&B
AbstractOpportunities exist to significantly improve the quality and efficiency of epilepsy care in Ireland. Historically, epilepsy research has focused on quantitative methodologies that often fail to capture the invaluable insight of patient experiences as they negotiate their health care needs. Using a phenomenological approach, we conducted one-to-one interviews with people with epilepsy, reporting on their understanding of their health care journey from onset of symptoms through to their first interaction with specialist epilepsy services. Following analysis of the data, five major themes emerged: delayed access to specialist epilepsy review; uncertainty regarding the competency and function of primary care services; significant unmet needs for female patients with epilepsy; disorganization of existing epilepsy services; and unmet patient information needs. The findings reveal important insights into the challenges experienced by people with epilepsy in Ireland and identify the opportunities for future service reorganization to improve the quality and efficiency of care provided.
- Examining the prevalence of epilepsy and delivery of epilepsy care in Ireland.
- Authors: Linehan C, Kerr MP, Walsh PN, Brady G, Kelleher C, Delanty N, Dawson F, Glynn M
- Issue date: 2010 May
- The NCI All Ireland Cancer Conference.
- Authors: Johnston PG, Daly PA, Liu E
- Issue date: 1999
- Epilepsy services in Ireland: 'A survey of people with epilepsy in relation to satisfaction, preferences and information provision'.
- Authors: Bennett L, Bergin M, Gooney M, Doherty CP, Synnott C, Wells JS
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Health care utilization and needs after pediatric traumatic brain injury.
- Authors: Slomine BS, McCarthy ML, Ding R, MacKenzie EJ, Jaffe KM, Aitken ME, Durbin DR, Christensen JR, Dorsch AM, Paidas CN, CHAT Study Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Prevalence of Unmet Health Care needs and description of health care-seeking behavior among displaced people after the 2007 California wildfires.
- Authors: Jenkins JL, Hsu EB, Sauer LM, Hsieh YH, Kirsch TD
- Issue date: 2009 Jun