Male lupus: a diagnosis often delayed--a case series and review of the literature.
AffiliationRheumatology Department, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., email@example.com
Glucocorticoids/administration & dosage
Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic/*diagnosis/drug therapy
Prednisolone/administration & dosage
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):279-82. Epub 2009 Oct 28.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an auto-immune disease that is characterised by autoantibody production. Male lupus is rare, apart from at either end of the age spectrum. AIM: In this series, we review the histories of six male lupus patients attending our service. RESULTS: Our patients presented in middle age and tended to develop haematological abnormalities, renal involvement and neurological manifestations which preceded the onset of their skin and joint complaints. Our patients accrued damage rapidly and overall did badly. They tended to respond sub-optimally to standard treatments. These cases highlight the need an increased awareness that male SLE patients present with a wide variety of symptoms, and that they accrue damage quickly. There is a need for timely diagnosis and appropriate initiation of treatment. This may help avoid preventable organ damage and increase the survival of men with SLE.
- Invasive fungal infection in systemic lupus erythematosus: an analysis of 15 cases and a literature review.
- Authors: Chen HS, Tsai WP, Leu HS, Ho HH, Liou LB
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Elderly onset systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) presenting with disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC).
- Authors: Iyoda M, Suzuki H, Ashikaga E, Nagai H, Kuroki A, Shibata T, Kitazawa K, Akizawa T
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- The Diagnosis and Treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Authors: Kuhn A, Bonsmann G, Anders HJ, Herzer P, Tenbrock K, Schneider M
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 19
- A case of toxic epidermal necrolysis-like skin lesions with systemic lupus erythematosus and review of the literature.
- Authors: Yildirim Cetin G, Sayar H, Ozkan F, Kurtulus S, Kesici F, Sayarlioglu M
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Systemic lupus erythematosus in children: a case report and review.
- Authors: Kemiki AD, Jimmy S, Rongap A
- Issue date: 2001 Mar-Jun