AffiliationDepartment of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, St Vincent's University, Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland. Michael.J.Duffy@ucd.ie
Tumor Markers, Biological/blood/chemistry/*metabolism
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Chim Acta. 2010 Dec 14;411(23-24):1869-74. Epub 2010 Sep 8.
JournalClinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry
AbstractCA 15-3 which detects soluble forms of MUC-1 protein is the most widely used serum marker in patients with breast cancer. Its main use is for monitoring therapy in patients with metastatic disease. In monitoring therapy in this setting, CA 15-3 should not be used alone but measured in conjunction with diagnostic imaging, clinical history and physical examination. CA 15-3 is particularly valuable for treatment monitoring in patients that have disease that cannot be evaluated using existing radiological procedures. CA 15-3 may also be used in the postoperative surveillance of asymptomatic women who have undergone surgery for invasive breast cancer. In this setting, serial determination can provide median lead-times of 5-6 months in the early detection of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer. It is unclear however, whether administering systemic therapy based on this lead-time improves patient outcome. Consequently, expert panels disagree on the utility of regularly measuring CA 15-3 in the postoperative surveillance of asymptomatic women following a diagnosis of breast cancer. The main limitation of CA 15-3 as a marker for breast cancer is that serum levels are rarely increased in patients with early or localized disease.
- TPS and CA 15.3 serum values as a guide for treating and monitoring breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Giai M, Roagna R, Ponzone R, Biglia N, Sgro L, Perona M, Sismondi P
- Issue date: 1996 Mar-Apr
- Periodic measurement of serum carcinoembryonic antigen and carbohydrate antigen 15-3 levels as postoperative surveillance after breast cancer surgery.
- Authors: Nakamura T, Kimura T, Umehara Y, Suzuki K, Okamoto K, Okumura T, Morizumi S, Kawabata T
- Issue date: 2005
- Primary and metastatic ovarian cancer in patients with prior breast carcinoma. Pre-operative markers and treatment results.
- Authors: Tserkezoglou A, Kontou S, Hadjieleftheriou G, Apostolikas N, Vassilomanolakis M, Sikiotis K, Salamalekis E, Tseke P, Magiakos G
- Issue date: 2006 May-Jun
- Determination of serum tumor markers TPS and CA 15-3 during monitoring of treatment in metastatic breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Schuurman JJ, Bong SB, Einarsson R
- Issue date: 1996 Jul-Aug
- Prognostic significance of serum Her2/neu, BCL2, CA15-3 and CEA in breast cancer patients: a short follow-up.
- Authors: Samy N, Ragab HM, El Maksoud NA, Shaalan M
- Issue date: 2010