AffiliationThe Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Sq, Dublin 1.
MeSH*Antiretroviral Therapy, Highly Active
HIV Infections/*diagnosis/*drug therapy/epidemiology
Infectious Disease Transmission, Vertical/*prevention & control
Pregnancy Complications, Infectious/*diagnosis/*drug therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2010 Jan;103(1):14-7.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractRoutine linked HIV antenatal screening, with "opt-out", was introduced at the Rotunda in January 1998. This paper reviews the screening and subsequent pregnancy management and outcome in HIV positive women from 1998 to 2006. During this time 225 women (280 pregnancies) were HIV positive and 194 women subsequently delivered at the Rotunda, representing 233 liveborn infants. Overall anti-HIV prevalence was 0.42%, increasing from 0.06% in 1998 to 0.57% in 2006. Of 233 livebirths, 111 (48%) were delivered by spontaneous vaginal delivery (SVD). HIV treatment was started pre-pregnancy in 14 (6%) pregnancies and antenatally in 208 (90%). The vertical transmission rate in mothers receiving >4 weeks of treatment was 0%. We conclude that routine antenatal HIV screening is effective and significantly benefits the health of mother and child.
- An assessment of mother-to-child HIV transmission prevention in 16 pilot antenatal clinics in Jamaica.
- Authors: Harvey KM, Figueroa JP, Tomlinson J, Gebre Y, Forbes S, Toyloy T, Thompson T, Thompson K
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) uptake, nevirapine use and infant feeding options at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital.
- Authors: Onah HE, Ibeziako N, Nkwo PO, Obi SN, Nwankwo TO
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Routine prenatal screening for HIV in a low-prevalence setting.
- Authors: Patrick DM, Money DM, Forbes J, Dobson SR, Rekart ML, Cook DA, Middleton PJ, Burdge DR
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 20
- HIV testing and prophylaxis to prevent mother-to-child transmission in the United States.
- Authors: American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Pediatric AIDS.
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Declines in low birth weight and preterm birth among infants who were born to HIV-infected women during an era of increased use of maternal antiretroviral drugs: Pediatric Spectrum of HIV Disease, 1989-2004.
- Authors: Schulte J, Dominguez K, Sukalac T, Bohannon B, Fowler MG, Pediatric Spectrum of HIV Disease Consortium.
- Issue date: 2007 Apr