AffiliationUCD Centre for Human Reproduction, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, , Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Obstet Gynaecol. 2011 May;31(4):320-1.
JournalJournal of obstetrics and gynaecology : the journal of the Institute of, Obstetrics and Gynaecology
AbstractWe reviewed the role of peripartum hysterectomy (PH) in the first decade of the 21st century. The study was confined to women who delivered a baby weighing 500 g or more between 2000 and 2009, and who required a hysterectomy within 72 h of delivery for obstetric reasons. Individual case records were reviewed. There were 19 cases of PH in 78,961 deliveries giving an incidence of 1 in 4,156 (0.02%). Of the 19 cases, 95% were delivered by caesarean section and 89% had one or more prior sections. The indications were placental bed pathology (79%), uterine atony (16%) and uterine trauma (5%). Of the 19 hysterectomies, 16 (84%) were total and a gynaecological oncologist was involved in nine (56%) of these cases. There were no maternal or fetal deaths, but a mother required an average blood transfusion of 10 units. The overall rate of PH was remarkably low compared with other studies but it is likely to increase in the future because of the strong association between increasing caesarean section rates and placental bed pathology. The potential involvement of the cervix and other pelvic structures by placental pathology means that PH in the future will be more challenging, and the hysterectomy will need to be total rather than subtotal.
- Analysis of 59 cases of emergent peripartum hysterectomies during a 13-year period.
- Authors: Ozden S, Yildirim G, Basaran T, Gurbuz B, Dayicioglu V
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes following peripartum hysterectomy from a single tertiary centre.
- Authors: Jones B, Zhang E, Alzouebi A, Robbins T, Paterson-Brown S, Prior T, Kumar S
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Emergency peripartum hysterectomy in a tertiary hospital in Ankara, Turkey: a 5-year review.
- Authors: Tapisiz OL, Altinbas SK, Yirci B, Cenksoy P, Kaya AE, Dede S, Kandemir O
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Emergency hysterectomy in modern obstetric practice. Changing clinical perspective in time.
- Authors: Zorlu CG, Turan C, Işik AZ, Danişman N, Mungan T, Gökmen O
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Peripartum hysterectomy in a teaching hospital in the eastern region of Turkey.
- Authors: Zeteroglu S, Ustun Y, Engin-Ustun Y, Sahin G, Kamaci M
- Issue date: 2005 May 1