AuthorsHogan, Jennifer L
Kennelly, Mairead M
Turner, Michael J
AffiliationCoombe Women and Infants University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., Jennifer.Hogan@ucdconnect.ie
Blood Pressure Determination/*instrumentation
Body Mass Index
Predictive Value of Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHypertens Pregnancy. 2011;30(4):396-400. Epub 2010 Aug 20.
JournalHypertension in pregnancy : official journal of the International Society for the, Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy
AbstractOBJECTIVE: The accurate measurement of blood pressure requires the use of a large cuff in subjects with a high mid-arm circumference (MAC). This prospective study examined the need for a large cuff during pregnancy and its correlation with maternal obesity. METHODS: Maternal body mass index (BMI), fat mass, and MAC were measured. RESULTS: Of 179 women studied, 15.6% were obese. With a BMI of level 1 obesity, 44% needed a large cuff and with a BMI of level 2 obesity 100% needed a large cuff. CONCLUSION: All women booking for antenatal care should have their MAC measured to avoid the overdiagnosis of pregnancy hypertension.
- Arm and finger measurements in the third trimester: Implications for blood pressure measurement.
- Authors: Eley VA, Roberts L, Rickards L, Pelecanos A, Blackie A, Zhang C, Christensen R, Barrett HL
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Fat arms, obesity and choice of blood pressure cuff size in diabetic patients.
- Authors: Feher MD, Cox A, Foxton J, Lant AF
- Issue date: 1995 Nov-Dec
- Correlation of patient characteristics with arm and finger measurements in Asian parturients: a preliminary study.
- Authors: Lim MJ, Tan CW, Tan HS, Sultana R, Eley V, Sng BL
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 31
- Body Mass Index (BMI) in women booking for antenatal care: comparison between selfreported and digital measurements.
- Authors: Fattah C, Farah N, O'Toole F, Barry S, Stuart B, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Trimester-specific blood pressure levels in relation to maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index.
- Authors: Miller RS, Thompson ML, Williams MA
- Issue date: 2007 Nov