AffiliationUCD Centre for Human Reproduction, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, , Dublin 8, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Body Mass Index
Cesarean Section/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011 Sep;158(1):28-32. Epub 2011 May 18.
JournalEuropean journal of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive biology
AbstractOBJECTIVE: This study looked at the association between caesarean section (CS) and Body Mass Index (BMI) in primigravidas compared with multigravidas. STUDY DESIGN: We enrolled women at their convenience, in the first trimester after an ultrasound examination confirmed an ongoing pregnancy. Weight and height were measured digitally and BMI calculated. After delivery, clinical details were again collected from the Hospital's computerised database. RESULTS: Of the 2000 women enrolled, there were 50.4% (n=1008) primigravidas and 49.6% (n=992) multigravidas. Of the 2000 8.5% were delivered by elective CS and 13.4% were delivered by emergency CS giving an overall rate of 21.9%. The overall CS rate was 30.1% in obese women compared with 19.2% in the normal BMI category (p<0.001). In primigravidas the increase in CS rate in obese women was due to an increase in emergency CS (p<0.005) and in multigravidas the increase was due to an increase in elective CS (p<0.01). In obese primigravidas 20.6% had an emergency section for fetal distress. In obese multigravidas 17.2% had a repeat elective CS. CONCLUSION: The influence of maternal obesity on the increase in CS rates is different in primigravidas compared with multigravidas.
- Maternal obesity and induction of labor.
- Authors: O'Dwyer V, O'Kelly S, Monaghan B, Rowan A, Farah N, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Obesity and mode of delivery in primigravid and multigravid women.
- Authors: Lynch CM, Sexton DJ, Hession M, Morrison JJ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Cesarean delivery in Finland: maternal complications and obstetric risk factors.
- Authors: Pallasmaa N, Ekblad U, Aitokallio-Tallberg A, Uotila J, Raudaskoski T, Ulander VM, Hurme S
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Interpregnancy BMI change and risk of primary caesarean delivery.
- Authors: Whiteman VE, McIntosh C, Rao K, Mbah AK, Salihu HM
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- International variation in caesarean section rates and maternal obesity.
- Authors: O'Dwyer V, Layte R, O'Connor C, Farah N, Kennelly MM, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul