Are women in early pregnancy following the national pyramid recommendations?
AffiliationDanone Baby Nutrition, Block 1, Deansgrange Business Park, Deansgrange, Co., Dublin.
Body Mass Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAre women in early pregnancy following the national pyramid recommendations? 2011, 104 (9):270-2 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAppropriate nutrition in pregnancy is fundamental for maternal and fetal health, and the long-term physiological wellbeing of the offspring. We aimed to determine whether a sample of pregnant women met the national guidelines for healthy eating during pregnancy, and to examine if compliance differs when analysed by Body Mass Index (BMI) category. Subjects completed a 24-hr dietary recall, and had their BMI calculated. The mean age was 27.8 years. The mean BMI was 25.1 kg/m2, with 32 (31.7%) subjects overweight and 14 (13.9%) obese based on BMI category. Although the majority of subjects thought that they had a healthy diet, less than half met the recommended guidelines for each individual food group with achievement of the dairy group being particularly low. Achievement of food group recommendations was not influenced by BMI category. Public health messages on healthy eating guidelines need to be clearly communicated to pregnant women.
- Beverage intake among preschool children and its effect on weight status.
- Authors: O'Connor TM, Yang SJ, Nicklas TA
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- [Factors relevant to newborn birth weight in pregnancy complicated with abnormal glucose metabolism].
- Authors: Yang YD, Zhai GR, Yang HX
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Nutrient adequacy and food group consumption of Filipino novices and religious sisters over a nine month period.
- Authors: Grieger JA, Haas JD, Murray-Kolb LE, Kris-Etherton P, Beard JL
- Issue date: 2008
- Healthy Eating Index scores among adults, 60 years of age and over, by sociodemographic and health characteristics: United States, 1999-2002.
- Authors: Ervin RB
- Issue date: 2008 May 20
- A weight gain chart for pregnant women designed in Chile.
- Authors: Mardones F, Rosso P
- Issue date: 2005 Apr