Validity evidence for USMLE examination cut scores: results of a large-scale survey.
Education, Medical, Undergraduate
MetadataShow full item record
CitationValidity evidence for USMLE examination cut scores: results of a large-scale survey. 2010, 85 (10 Suppl):S93-7 Acad Med
JournalAcademic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges
AbstractThis research examined the credibility of the cut scores used to make pass/fail decisions on United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, and Step 3.
Approximately 15,000 members of nine constituency groups were asked their opinions about (1) current initial and ultimate fail rates and (2) the highest acceptable, lowest acceptable, and optimal initial and ultimate fail rates.
Initial fail rates were generally viewed as appropriate; more variability was associated with ultimate fail rates. Actual fail rates for each examination across recent years fell within the range that respondents considered acceptable.
Results provide important evidence to support the appropriateness of the cut scores used to make classification decisions for USMLE examinations. This evidence is viewed as part of the overall validity argument for decisions based on USMLE scores.
- Impact of the foundations of clinical medicine course on USMLE scores.
- Authors: Brownfield EL, Blue AV, Powell CK, Geesey ME, Moran WP
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- The impact of a peer-designed and -led USMLE Step 1 review course: improvement in preparation and scores.
- Authors: Alcamo AM, Davids AR, Way DP, Lynn DJ, Vandre DD
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Relationship between performance on part I of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Certifying Examination and Scores on USMLE Steps 1 and 2.
- Authors: Swanson DB, Sawhill A, Holtzman KZ, Bucak SD, Morrison C, Hurwitz S, DeRosa GP
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Are United States Medical Licensing Exam Step 1 and 2 scores valid measures for postgraduate medical residency selection decisions?
- Authors: McGaghie WC, Cohen ER, Wayne DB
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Do United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) scores predict in-training test performance for emergency medicine residents?
- Authors: Thundiyil JG, Modica RF, Silvestri S, Papa L
- Issue date: 2010 Jan