Effectiveness of 2010/2011 seasonal influenza vaccine in Ireland.
AuthorsBarret, A S
Donnell, J O
AffiliationHealth Protection Surveillance Centre, 25-27 Middle Gardiner Street, Dublin 1. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEffectiveness of 2010/2011 seasonal influenza vaccine in Ireland. 2012, 105 (2):39-42 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractWe conducted a case-control study to estimate the 2010/2011 trivalent influenza vaccine effectiveness (TIVE) using the Irish general practitioners' influenza sentinel surveillance scheme. Cases were influenza-like illness (ILI) patients with laboratory-confirmed influenza. Controls were ILI patients who tested negative for influenza. Participating sentinel general practitioners (GP) collected swabs from patients presenting with ILI along with their vaccination history and other individual characteristics. The TIVE was computed as (1 - odds ratiofor vaccination) x100%. Of 60 sentinel GP practices, 22 expressed interest in participating in the study and 17 (28%) recruited at least one ILI patient. In the analysis, we included 106 cases and 85 controls. Seven controls (8.2%) and one influenza case (0.9%) had been vaccinated in 2010/2011. The estimated TIVE against any influenza subtype was 89.4% [95% CI: 13.8; 99.8%], suggesting a protective effect against GP-attended laboratory confirmed influenza. This study design could be used to monitor influenza vaccine effectiveness annually but sample size and vaccination coverage should be increased to obtain precise and adjusted estimates.
- Effectiveness of the 2010-11 seasonal trivalent influenza vaccine in Spain: cycEVA study.
- Authors: Jiménez-Jorge S, Savulescu C, Pozo F, de Mateo S, Casas I, Ledesma J, Larrauri A, cycEVA Study Team., Spanish Influenza Sentinel Surveillance System.
- Issue date: 2012 May 21
- [Efficiency of seasonal influenza vaccine in persons older than 65 in Romania. Pilot case-control study I-MOVE, 2008-2009].
- Authors: Piţigoi D, Lupulescu E, Alexandrescu V, Băeţel A, Sbârcea C, Ioniţă E, Săvulescu C, Duca E, Sima C, Truică C, Ibram S, Bobîrnac A, Militaru L, Arion M
- Issue date: 2009 Apr-Jun
- Estimating vaccine effectiveness against laboratory-confirmed influenza using a sentinel physician network: results from the 2005-2006 season of dual A and B vaccine mismatch in Canada.
- Authors: Skowronski DM, Masaro C, Kwindt TL, Mak A, Petric M, Li Y, Sebastian R, Chong M, Tam T, De Serres G
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 12
- Moderate influenza vaccine effectiveness in Victoria, Australia, 2011.
- Authors: Fielding JE, Grant KA, Tran T, Kelly HA
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 15
- Surveillance of influenza-like illness in France. The example of the 1995/1996 epidemic.
- Authors: Carrat F, Flahault A, Boussard E, Farran N, Dangoumau L, Valleron AJ
- Issue date: 1998 Apr