A quantitative assessment of facial protection systems in elective hip arthroplasty.
AffiliationMerlin Park Hospital, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHArthroplasty, Replacement, Hip
Surgical Procedures, Elective
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA quantitative assessment of facial protection systems in elective hip arthroplasty. 2011, 77 (3):375-80 Acta Orthop Belg
JournalActa orthopaedica Belgica
AbstractWe aimed to assess the risk to surgeons of blood splatter during total hip arthroplasty. Hoods from personal protection systems used in 34 consecutive total hip replacements were collected and the area of blood splatter was measured and compared to goggles and visors. Thirty one primary THA's (13 cemented, 4 hybrid, 14 uncemented) and 3 revisions (1 hybrid, 2 uncemented) were collected. Splashes were detected on all of the masks with a mean of 034% cover. Splatter was greatest for the operating surgeon, followed by the first assistant, though the difference was not statistically significant. Operating personnel were at greater risk of contamination during uncemented arthroplasty (p < 0.0001; 95% CI). On average 50.60% and 45.40% of blood cover was outside the area protected by goggles and visors respectively. There was a significant difference between the Personal Protection Systems (PPS) and goggles (p = 0.0231; 95% CI) as well as between the PPS and visors (p = 0.0293; 95% CI).
- Splash in elective primary knee and hip replacement: are we adequately protected?
- Authors: Singh VK, Kalairajah Y
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Risk of facial splashes in four major surgical specialties in a multicentre study.
- Authors: Endo S, Kanemitsu K, Ishii H, Narita M, Nemoto T, Yaginuma G, Mikami Y, Unno M, Hen R, Tabayashi K, Matsushima T, Kunishima H, Kaku M
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Surgical helmet systems.
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- The risks of splash injury when using power tools during orthopaedic surgery: a prospective study.
- Authors: Alani A, Modi C, Almedghio S, Mackie I
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Does cement increase the risk of infection in primary total hip arthroplasty? Revision rates in 56,275 cemented and uncemented primary THAs followed for 0-16 years in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register.
- Authors: Engesaeter LB, Espehaug B, Lie SA, Furnes O, Havelin LI
- Issue date: 2006 Jun