What are the risk factors for soft tissue abscess development among injecting drug users?
Interviews as Topic
Soft Tissue Infections
Substance Abuse Treatment Centers
Substance Abuse, Intravenous
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWhat are the risk factors for soft tissue abscess development among injecting drug users?, 106 (23):21-4 Nurs Times
AbstractMuch research has been done on the risk taking behaviour of drug users who inject. Cutaneous or subcutaneous skin and soft tissue abscesses are common complications of intravenous drug use.
To identify the risk factors to which drug users who inject expose themselves, in an attempt to improve initial assessment.
A convenience sampling method was used, and structured interviews carried out with 70 injecting drug users attending a methadone treatment setting in Dublin.
Forty eight (69%) of participants have had an abscess at some stage. Poor levels of skin cleansing were identified as a main cause, and 80% admitted to sharing injecting equipment.
Healthcare professionals need to develop better strategies for delivering messages to clients regarding safer injecting behaviour.
- Diagnostic and treatment options for skin and soft tissue abscesses in injecting drug users with consideration of the natural history and concomitant risk factors.
- Authors: Khalil PN, Huber-Wagner S, Altheim S, Bürklein D, Siebeck M, Hallfeldt K, Mutschler W, Kanz GG
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 22
- Risk factors for skin and soft-tissue abscesses among injection drug users: a case-control study.
- Authors: Murphy EL, DeVita D, Liu H, Vittinghoff E, Leung P, Ciccarone DH, Edlin BR
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 1
- Hepatitis C seroprevalence amongst injecting drug users attending a methadone programme.
- Authors: Chetwynd J, Brunton C, Blank M, Plumridge E, Baldwin D
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 8
- Microbiology of upper extremity soft tissue abscesses in injecting drug abusers.
- Authors: Allison DC, Miller T, Holtom P, Patzakis MJ, Zalavras CG
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Changes in the injecting risk behaviour of injecting drug users in London, 1990-1993.
- Authors: Hunter GM, Donoghoe MC, Stimson GV, Rhodes T, Chalmers CP
- Issue date: 1995 May