AffiliationDonegal Mental Health Services, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTelepsychiatry and carer education for schizophrenia., 26 (5):302-4 Eur. Psychiatry
JournalEuropean psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists
AbstractDespite the scientific evidence, most families of people with schizophrenia in Europe never receive a carer education programme. We evaluated whether a carer education course delivered by telepsychiatry was as effective as a carer education course delivered in situ.
We delivered the carer education course for schizophrenia simultaneously to a carers group in rural north west Ireland (remote) via three ISDN lines and live to a carers group in a city (host). We compared knowledge gains using the Knowledge Questionnaire before and after each course.
Fifty-six carers of people with schizophrenia participated in the trial. At baseline, participants at the remote and host centers did not differ in terms of knowledge about schizophrenia. After the course, carers at both centers improved significantly and the knowledge gains between groups were equivalent at 6 weeks.
Telepsychiatry can deliver effective carer education programmes about schizophrenia and may provide one solution to bridging the chasm between scientific evidence and clinical reality.
- Dementia carer education and patient behaviour disturbance.
- Authors: Coen RF, O'Boyle CA, Coakley D, Lawlor BA
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Caregiver psychoeducation for schizophrenia: is gender important?
- Authors: McWilliams S, Hill S, Mannion N, Kinsella A, O'Callaghan E
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Efficacy of a psychoeducational intervention in improving relatives' knowledge about schizophrenia and reducing rehospitalisation.
- Authors: Cassidy E, Hill S, O'Callaghan E
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- EUROCARE: a cross-national study of co-resident spouse carers for people with Alzheimer's disease: I--Factors associated with carer burden.
- Authors: Schneider J, Murray J, Banerjee S, Mann A
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- Schizophrenia and substance misuse problems: a comparison between patients with and without significant carer contact.
- Authors: Schofield N, Quinn J, Haddock G, Barrowclough C
- Issue date: 2001 Nov