The effect of liposome encapsulation on the pharmacokinetics of recombinant secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor (rSLPI) therapy after local delivery to a guinea pig asthma model.
Hickey, Anthony J
McElvaney, Noel G
AffiliationSchool of Pharmacy, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland.
Cell Membrane Permeability
Disease Models, Animal
Drug Delivery Systems
Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay
Secretory Leukocyte Peptidase Inhibitor
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe effect of liposome encapsulation on the pharmacokinetics of recombinant secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor (rSLPI) therapy after local delivery to a guinea pig asthma model. 2011, 28 (9):2233-45 Pharm. Res.
AbstractInhaled recombinant Secretory Leukocyte Protease Inhibitor (rSLPI) has shown potential for treatment of inflammatory lung conditions. Rapid inactivation of rSLPI by cathepsin L (Cat L) and rapid clearance from the lungs have limited clinical efficacy. Encapsulation of rSLPI within 1,2-Dioleoyl-sn-Glycero-3-[Phospho-L-Serine]:Cholesterol liposomes (DOPS-rSLPI) protects rSLPI against Cat L inactivation in vitro. We aimed to determine the effect of liposomes on rSLPI pharmacokinetics and activity in vitro and after local delivery to the airways in vivo.
- A dry powder formulation of liposome-encapsulated recombinant secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor (rSLPI) for inhalation: preparation and characterisation.
- Authors: Gibbons A, McElvaney NG, Cryan SA
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Delivery of rSLPI in a liposomal carrier for inhalation provides protection against cathepsin L degradation.
- Authors: Gibbons AM, McElvaney NG, Taggart CC, Cryan SA
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Liposomes prolong the therapeutic effect of anti-asthmatic medication via pulmonary delivery.
- Authors: Chen X, Huang W, Wong BC, Yin L, Wong YF, Xu M, Yang Z
- Issue date: 2012
- Secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor prevents allergen-induced pulmonary responses in animal models of asthma.
- Authors: Wright CD, Havill AM, Middleton SC, Kashem MA, Lee PA, Dripps DJ, O'Riordan TG, Bevilacqua MP, Abraham WM
- Issue date: 1999 May
- Pharmacokinetics of recombinant secretory leukoprotease inhibitor aerosolized to normals and individuals with cystic fibrosis.
- Authors: McElvaney NG, Doujaiji B, Moan MJ, Burnham MR, Wu MC, Crystal RG
- Issue date: 1993 Oct