Paediatricians' views on their role in the assessment and management of ADHD and autism.
Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity
Patient Care Team
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPaediatricians' views on their role in the assessment and management of ADHD and autism. 2011, 104 (9):282-4 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractADHD and Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are a core component of paediatricians case work in the U.K. and U.S., but the situation in Ireland is less clear. Due to significant underdevelopment of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services in Ireland, long waiting lists may delay identification and treatment. The aim of our study was to explore the views of a group of paediatricians in relation to their current and future practice of assessing and managing ADHD and ASD. The outcome of our study indicated that more than half of the paediatricians surveyed are directly involved in the assessment or treatment of ADHD and ASD. Eighty five per cent (85%) of paediatricians believed that they should have a role in the assessment of ADHD and ASD and over half had thought that they should be involved in managing ADHD and ASD. These results suggest that there is potential to develop alternative specialist services in Ireland for the identification and treatment of children with ADHD and ASD. The development of a well coordinated integrated care pathway may reduce waiting times for families and lead to easier access to services.
- A process for developing community consensus regarding the diagnosis and management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Authors: Foy JM, Earls MF
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Pediatricians' role in providing mental health care for children and adolescents: do pediatricians and child and adolescent psychiatrists agree?
- Authors: Heneghan A, Garner AS, Storfer-Isser A, Kortepeter K, Stein RE, Horwitz SM
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Clinic attenders with autism or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: cognitive profile at school age and its relationship to preschool indicators of language delay.
- Authors: Hagberg BS, Miniscalco C, Gillberg C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan-Feb
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder: symptom or syndrome?
- Authors: Sinzig J, Walter D, Doepfner M
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Impact of comorbid autism spectrum disorders on stimulant response in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a retrospective and prospective effectiveness study.
- Authors: Santosh PJ, Baird G, Pityaratstian N, Tavare E, Gringras P
- Issue date: 2006 Sep