Survival in women with ovarian cancer before and after the introduction of adjuvant paclitaxel; a 25-year, single institution review.
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics, National Maternity Hospital, Holles St., Dublin 2.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurvival in women with ovarian cancer before and after the introduction of adjuvant paclitaxel; a 25-year, single institution review. 2012, 105 (2):47-50 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAdjuvant chemotherapy regime for ovarian cancer patients remains to be a contentious issue. The aim of this study was to compare the overall and progression-free survival of women with ovarian cancer before and after introduction of paclitaxel in our unit in 1992. A sample of 112 women who received adjuvant therapy following surgery for ovarian cancer was collected, 68 (61%) received platinum+alkylating agent before 1992 and later 44 (39%) received platinum+paclitaxel. Five-year survival was same in both treatment groups when there was no macroscopic disease after surgery (78% versus 70%) and when residual disease was <2 cm (50% versus 40%). Survival was greater in women with residual disease >2 cm in the platinum+paclitaxel group (50% versus 24%), (p = 0.04). However, progression-free survival was similar in both groups irrespective of stage or residual volume of disease. Therefore consideration to selective use of paclitaxel could reduce patient morbidity and costs significantly.
- Tumor residual after surgical cytoreduction in prediction of clinical outcome in stage IV epithelial ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Authors: Winter WE 3rd, Maxwell GL, Tian C, Sundborg MJ, Rose GS, Rose PG, Rubin SC, Muggia F, McGuire WP, Gynecologic Oncology Group.
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 1
- [Impact of dose delivery of postoperative first-line chemotherapy on prognosis of stage III C epithelial ovarian carcinoma].
- Authors: Zhao XD, Zhang Q, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Mucinous but not clear cell histology is associated with inferior survival in patients with advanced stage ovarian carcinoma treated with platinum-paclitaxel chemotherapy.
- Authors: Bamias A, Psaltopoulou T, Sotiropoulou M, Haidopoulos D, Lianos E, Bournakis E, Papadimitriou C, Rodolakis A, Vlahos G, Dimopoulos MA
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15
- Survival of patients with advanced ovarian cancer treated with intermittent chemotherapy following cytoreductive surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy.
- Authors: Amikura T, Aoki Y, Kase H, Watanabe M, Sato T, Fujita K, Kurata H, Tanaka K
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Activity of chemotherapy in mucinous epithelial ovarian cancer: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Pisano C, Greggi S, Tambaro R, Losito S, Iodice F, Di Maio M, Ferrari E, Falanga M, Formato R, Iaffaioli VR, Pignata S
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct