Measuring consistency of autobiographical memory recall in depression.
AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Analysis of Variance
Psychiatric Status Rating Scales
Reproducibility of Results
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMeasuring consistency of autobiographical memory recall in depression. 2012, 197 (1-2):41-8 Psychiatry Res
AbstractAutobiographical amnesia assessments in depression need to account for normal changes in consistency over time, contribution of mood and type of memories measured. We report herein validation studies of the Columbia Autobiographical Memory Interview - Short Form (CAMI-SF), exclusively used in depressed patients receiving electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) but without previous published report of normative data. The CAMI-SF was administered twice with a 6-month interval to 44 healthy volunteers to obtain normative data for retrieval consistency of its Semantic, Episodic-Extended and Episodic-Specific components and assess their reliability and validity. Healthy volunteers showed significant large decreases in retrieval consistency on all components. The Semantic and Episodic-Specific components demonstrated substantial construct validity. We then assessed CAMI-SF retrieval consistencies over a 2-month interval in 30 severely depressed patients never treated with ECT compared with healthy controls (n=19). On initial assessment, depressed patients produced less episodic-specific memories than controls. Both groups showed equivalent amounts of consistency loss over a 2-month interval on all components. At reassessment, only patients with persisting depressive symptoms were distinguishable from controls on episodic-specific memories retrieved. Research quantifying retrograde amnesia following ECT for depression needs to control for normal loss in consistency over time and contribution of persisting depressive symptoms.
- Autobiographical Memory Specificity in Major Depression Treated With Electroconvulsive Therapy.
- Authors: Jelovac A, OʼConnor S, McCarron S, McLoughlin DM
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Executive dysfunction and autobiographical memory retrieval in recovered depressed women.
- Authors: Haddad AD, Harmer CJ, Williams JM
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Autobiographical memory in temporal lobe epilepsy: role of hippocampal and temporal lateral structures.
- Authors: Herfurth K, Kasper B, Schwarz M, Stefan H, Pauli E
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Measuring retrograde autobiographical amnesia following electroconvulsive therapy: historical perspective and current issues.
- Authors: Semkovska M, McLoughlin DM
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Autobiographical memory and autonoetic consciousness: triple dissociation in neurodegenerative diseases.
- Authors: Piolino P, Desgranges B, Belliard S, Matuszewski V, Lalevée C, De la Sayette V, Eustache F
- Issue date: 2003 Oct