Patients on hemodialysis are better served by a proximal arteriovenous fistula for long-term venous access.
AffiliationDepartment of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Western Vascular Institute, Galway University Hospital, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Arteriovenous Shunt, Surgical
Kidney Failure, Chronic
Proportional Hazards Models
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPatients on hemodialysis are better served by a proximal arteriovenous fistula for long-term venous access. 2012, 46 (8):624-34 Vasc Endovascular Surg
JournalVascular and endovascular surgery
AbstractPatients with end-stage renal disease should have arteriovenous fistula (AVF) formation 3 to 6 months prior to commencing hemodialysis (HD). However, this is not always possible with strained health care resources. We aim to compare autologous proximal AVF (PAVF) with distal AVF (DAVF) in patients already on HD. Primary end point is 4-year functional primary. Secondary end point is freedom from major adverse clinical events (MACEs). From January 2003 to June 2009, out of 495 AVF formations, 179 (36%) patients were already on HD. These patients had 200 AVF formations (49 DAVF vs 151 PAVF) in arms in which no previous fistula had been formed. No synthetic graft was used. Four-year primary functional patency significantly improved with PAVF (68.9% ± SD 8.8%) compared to DAVF (7.3% ± SD 4.9%; P < .0001). Five-year freedom from MACE was 85% with PAVF compared to 40% with DAVF (P < .005). Proximal AVF bestows long-term functional access with fewer complications compared to DAVF for patients already on HD.
- Efficiency of the kidney disease outcomes quality initiative guidelines for preemptive vascular access in an academic setting.
- Authors: Kimball TA, Barz K, Dimond KR, Edwards JM, Nehler MR
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Comorbid conditions and gender impact the primary survival of distal radio-cephalic arteriovenous fistula inpatients on long-term hemodialysis.
- Authors: Vernaglione L, Mele G, Cristofano C, Distratis C, Perrone F, Frascina M, Pennacchiotti F, Chimienti S
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun
- Outcomes of upper arm arteriovenous fistulas for maintenance hemodialysis access.
- Authors: Fitzgerald JT, Schanzer A, Chin AI, McVicar JP, Perez RV, Troppmann C
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Evaluation of the efficacy of the forearm basilic vein transposition arteriovenous fistula.
- Authors: Son HJ, Min SK, Min SI, Park YJ, Ha J, Kim SJ
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Survival of primary arteriovenous fistula in 463 patients on chronic hemodialysis.
- Authors: Puskar D, Pasini J, Savić I, Bedalov G, Sonicki Z
- Issue date: 2002 Jun