Opioid mediated activity and expression of mu and delta opioid receptors in isolated human term non-labouring myometrium.
AffiliationDepartment of Perioperative Medicine, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, Cork Street, Dublin 8, Ireland.
Gene Expression Regulation
Receptors, Opioid, delta
Receptors, Opioid, mu
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOpioid mediated activity and expression of mu and delta opioid receptors in isolated human term non-labouring myometrium. 2013, 698 (1-3):170-7 Eur. J. Pharmacol.
JournalEuropean journal of pharmacology
AbstractThe existence of opioid receptors in mammalian myometrial tissue is now widely accepted. Previously enkephalin degrading enzymes have been shown to be elevated in pregnant rat uterus and a met-enkephalin analogue has been shown to alter spontaneous contractility of rat myometrium. Here we have undertaken studies to determine the effects of met-enkephalin on in vitro human myometrial contractility and investigate the expression of opioid receptors in pregnant myometrium. Myometrial biopsies were taken from women undergoing elective caesarean delivery at term. Organ bath experiments were used to investigate the effect of the met-enkephalin analogue [d-Ala 2, d-met 5] enkephalin (DAMEA) on spontaneous contractility. A confocal immunofluorescent technique and real time PCR were used to determine the expression of protein and mRNA, respectively for two opioid receptor subtypes, mu and delta. DAMEA had a concentration dependent inhibitory effect on contractile activity (1 × 10(-7)M-1 × 10(-4)M; 54% reduction in contractile activity, P<0.001 at 1 × 10(-4)M concentration). Mu and delta opioid receptor protein sub-types and their respective mRNA were identified in all tissues sampled. This is the first report of opioid receptor expression and of an opioid mediated uterorelaxant action in term human non-labouring myometrium in vitro.
- Delta and mu opioid receptors from the brain of a urodele amphibian, the rough-skinned newt Taricha granulosa: cloning, heterologous expression, and pharmacological characterization.
- Authors: Bradford CS, Walthers EA, Stanley DJ, Baugh MM, Moore FL
- Issue date: 2006 May 1
- Ghrelin in the human myometrium.
- Authors: O'Brien M, Earley P, Morrison JJ, Smith TJ
- Issue date: 2010 May 28
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone acts on CRH-R1 to inhibit the spontaneous contractility of non-labouring human myometrium at term.
- Authors: Zhang LM, Wang YK, Hui N, Sha JY, Chen X, Guan R, Dai L, Gao L, Yuan WJ, Ni X
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 24
- The stimulatory effect of mu- and delta-opioid receptors on bovine pinealocyte melatonin synthesis.
- Authors: Chuchuen U, Ebadi M, Govitrapong P
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Mechanisms of galanin-induced contraction in the rat myometrium.
- Authors: Niiro N, Nishimura J, Hirano K, Nakano H, Kanaide H
- Issue date: 1998 Aug