AffiliationDepartment of Physiotherapy, St. Patrick's Hospital, Carrick on Shannnon, Ireland. Karamatjee@gmail.com
MeSHActivities of Daily Living
Physical Therapy Modalities
Range of Motion, Articular
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn unusual effect of interferential therapy. 2012, 2012: BMJ Case Rep
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractIn this report, a patient with severe shoulder pain was treated with interferential currents, a commonly used modality in physiotherapy for the management of pain. He reported loss of concentration, drowsiness, decreased alertness and gait disturbance, along with analgaesia, for 4-5 h after each treatment. He was regularly taking tramadol HCl for pain relief. Endogenous opioids produced in response to interferential therapy may be excessive or may interact with the tramadol HCl and potentiate its effect. There is no published report of interferential-induced symptoms, as described above, in the authors' knowledge. The clinician using interferential currents should be aware of this possible effect.
- Treat the whole patient and be aware of drug interactions.
- Authors: Breivik H
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Shoulder pain management. The role of physical and rehabilitation medicine physicians. The European perspective based on the best evidence. A paper by the UEMS-PRM Section Professional Practice Committee.
- Authors: Varela E, Valero R, Küçükdeveci AA, Oral A, Ilieva E, Berteanu M, Christodoulou N, UEMS-PRM Section Professional Practice Committee.
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Efficacy and safety of tramadol HCl in breakthrough musculoskeletal pain attributed to osteoarthritis.
- Authors: Roth SH
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Effect of interferential current stimulation in management of hemiplegic shoulder pain.
- Authors: Suriya-amarit D, Gaogasigam C, Siriphorn A, Boonyong S
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Interferential laser therapy in the treatment of shoulder pain and disability from musculoskeletal pathologies: a randomised comparative study.
- Authors: Montes-Molina R, Prieto-Baquero A, Martínez-Rodríguez ME, Romojaro-Rodríguez AB, Gallego-Méndez V, Martínez-Ruiz F
- Issue date: 2012 Jun