Folic acid supplement use in the prevention of neural tube defects.
AffiliationRCSI, 123 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Neural Tube Defects
Vitamin B Complex
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFolic acid supplement use in the prevention of neural tube defects. 2011, 104 (1):12-5 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish medical journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractIn 2008, planned folic acid fortification for the prevention of Neural Tube Defects (NTD) was postponed. Concurrently, the economic recession may have affected dietary folic acid intake, placing increased emphasis on supplement use. This study examined folic acid supplement use in 2009. A cross-sectional survey of 300 ante-natal women was undertaken to assess folic acid knowledge and use. Associations between demographic, obstetric variables and folic acid knowledge and use were examined. A majority, 284/297 (96%), had heard of folic acid, and 178/297 (60%) knew that it could prevent NTD. Most, 270/297 (91%) had taken it during their pregnancy, but only 107/297 (36%) had used it periconceptionally. Being older, married, planned pregnancy and better socioeconomic status were associated with periconceptional use. Periconceptional folic acid use in 2009 was very low, little changed from economic status were associated with periconceptional use. Periconceptional folic acid use in 2009 was very low, little changed from earlier years. Continuous promotion efforts are necessary. Close monitoring of folic acid intake and NTD rates is essential, particularly in the absence of fortification.
- Promotion of folate for the prevention of neural tube defects: who benefits?
- Authors: Bower C, Miller M, Payne J, Serna P
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Knowledge and practice of urban Iranian pregnant women towards folic acid intake for neural tube defect prevention.
- Authors: Nosrat SB, Sedehi M, Golalipour MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- The use of folic acid and other vitamins before and during pregnancy in a group of women in Melbourne, Australia.
- Authors: Forster DA, Wills G, Denning A, Bolger M
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Folic acid supplements to prevent neural tube defects: trends in East of Ireland 1996-2002.
- Authors: Ward M, Hutton J, Mc Donnell R, Bachir N, Scallan E, O'Leary M, Hoey J, Doyle A, Delany V, Sayers G
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Awareness of the benefits of folic acid and prevalence of the use of folic acid supplements to prevent neural tube defects among Thai women.
- Authors: Nawapun K, Phupong V
- Issue date: 2007 Jul