The role of interventional radiology in the management of deep venous thrombosis: advanced therapy.
AuthorsO'Sullivan, Gerard J
AffiliationSection of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, University College Hospital Galway, Newcastle Road, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
Surgical Procedures, Minimally Invasive
Vena Cava Filters
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe role of interventional radiology in the management of deep venous thrombosis: advanced therapy. 2011, 34 (3):445-61 Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol
JournalCardiovascular and interventional radiology
AbstractDeep vein thrombosis (DVT) is often managed with a health care pathway that funnels patients to anticoagulation therapy alone. This "usual treatment" is designed to stop propagation and embolisation of venous thrombus but not remove it. Surgical thrombectomy was once the only option in severe cases in which limbs were threatened, but thrombus removal is no longer restricted to emergency cases. Interventional radiologists are now using advanced endovascular techniques to achieve thrombus removal in a minimally invasive manner in a very short treatment time, thereby quickly restoring patency, relieving acute symptoms, and potentially limiting the subsequent development of postthrombotic syndrome when followed with anticoagulation and compression regimens. This article provides an overview of the interventions available for treating DVT. One of the newer "single-session" techniques is isolated pharmacomechanical thrombolysis, which is described here in detail with supporting cases.
- Endovascular treatment options in the management of lower limb deep venous thrombosis.
- Authors: Nazir SA, Ganeshan A, Nazir S, Uberoi R
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Advanced management of acute iliofemoral deep venous thrombosis: emergency department and beyond.
- Authors: Pollack CV Jr
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Pharmacomechanical thrombectomy of acute deep vein thrombosis with the Trellis-8 isolated thrombolysis catheter.
- Authors: O'Sullivan GJ, Lohan DG, Gough N, Cronin CG, Kee ST
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Embolization during treatment of deep venous thrombosis: incidence, importance, and prevention.
- Authors: Herrera S, Comerota AJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Catheter-directed thrombolysis of lower limb thrombosis.
- Authors: Pianta MJ, Thomson KR
- Issue date: 2011 Feb