AffiliationHealth Information Unit, Eastern Health Board, Dr Steevens Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Local subject classificationPUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Heart Defects, Congenital
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTen-year survival of Down syndrome births. 1997, 26 (4):822-9 Int J Epidemiol
JournalInternational journal of epidemiology
AbstractTo determine the survival status of children with Down syndrome (DS), and to document factors influencing survival.
Follow-up study of cases identified from the Dublin European Register of Congenital Anomalies and Twins (EUROCAT) Register. Follow-up was attempted for each case until death or 1992 or until the date last known to be alive.
Eastern Health Board, Dublin.
In all, 389 DS children, born between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1989 were followed up.
Survival rates of 88% at one year and 82% at 10 years were found. There was a non-significant improvement in survival between the cohort born in 1980-1984 and that born in 1985-1989. Congenital heart defects reduced survival to 72% and complete atrio-ventricular canal defects (CAVD) had the poorest prognosis (58% survival at 10 years). Cases with CAVD showed a trend towards improved survival when surgically treated. Maternal age mother's county of residence, sex of infant, season of birth and presence of additional non-cardiac congenital anomalies had no impact on survival.
Four out of five DS children now survive at least 10 years. Adequate educational and health service provision needs to be made for them, especially those with congenital heart defects. The need for studies which compare survival and quality of life in DS children with CAVD who undergo cardiac surgery versus those who do not, taking account of various selection factors, is identified.
- Survival analysis of Down syndrome with congenital heart disease: a 5-years registry at QSNICH.
- Authors: Layangool T, Sangtawesin C, Kirawittaya T, Prompan W, Prachasilchai P, Pechdamrongsakul A
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Association between Down syndrome and in-hospital death among children undergoing surgery for congenital heart disease: a US population-based study.
- Authors: Evans JM, Dharmar M, Meierhenry E, Marcin JP, Raff GW
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Cardiac surgery in Down syndrome.
- Authors: Sheehan A, Ward OC, Duff DF, Denham B, Neligan M, Wood A
- Issue date: 1990 Jun
- [Life expectancy in Down syndrome infants and children with congenital heart defects, 1974-1997].
- Authors: Hartyánszky I, Dobos M, Szabolcs J, Mihályi S, Lozsádi K, Fekete G
- Issue date: 2000 Sep 24
- Eisenmenger syndrome and long-term survival in patients with Down syndrome and congenital heart disease.
- Authors: Körten MA, Helm PC, Abdul-Khaliq H, Baumgartner H, Kececioglu D, Schlensak C, Bauer UM, Diller GP, Competence Network for Congenital Heart Defects Investigators.
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 1