AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Local subject classificationDIABETES TYPE 2
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCirculating CD36 Is Reduced in HNF1A-MODY Carriers. 2013, 8 (9):e74577 PLoS ONE
AbstractPremature atherosclerosis is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY) accounts for approximately 2% of all diabetes, with mutations in the transcription factor; hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 alpha (HNF1A) accounting for the majority of MODY cases. There is somewhat limited data available on the prevalence of macrovascular disease in HNF1A-MODY carriers with diabetes. Marked insulin resistance and the associated dyslipidaemia are not clinical features of HNF1A-MODY carriers. The scavenger protein CD36 has been shown to play a substantial role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, largely through its interaction with oxidised LDL. Higher levels of monocyte CD36 and plasma CD36(sCD36) are seen to cluster with insulin resistance and diabetes. The aim of this study was to determine levels of sCD36 in participants with HNF1A-MODY diabetes and to compare them with unaffected normoglycaemic family members and participants with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
SponsorsThis research was funded in association with the Mater College Foundation and the Metabolic Research Unit. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Identification of HNF1A-MODY and HNF4A-MODY in Irish families: phenotypic characteristics and therapeutic implications.
- Authors: Kyithar MP, Bacon S, Pannu KK, Rizvi SR, Colclough K, Ellard S, Byrne MM
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Co-inheritance of HNF1a and GCK mutations in a family with maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY): implications for genetic testing.
- Authors: López-Garrido MP, Herranz-Antolín S, Alija-Merillas MJ, Giralt P, Escribano J
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- HDL cholesterol as a diagnostic tool for clinical differentiation of GCK-MODY from HNF1A-MODY and type 1 diabetes in children and young adults.
- Authors: Fendler W, Borowiec M, Antosik K, Szadkowska A, Deja G, Jarosz-Chobot P, Mysliwiec M, Wyka K, Pietrzak I, Skupien J, Malecki MT, Mlynarski W
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Serum levels of pancreatic stone protein (PSP)/reg1A as an indicator of beta-cell apoptosis suggest an increased apoptosis rate in hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 alpha (HNF1A-MODY) carriers from the third decade of life onward.
- Authors: Bacon S, Kyithar MP, Schmid J, Rizvi SR, Bonner C, Graf R, Prehn JH, Byrne MM
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 18
- Circulating ghrelin level is higher in HNF1A-MODY and GCK-MODY than in polygenic forms of diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Nowak N, Hohendorff J, Solecka I, Szopa M, Skupien J, Kiec-Wilk B, Mlynarski W, Malecki MT
- Issue date: 2015 Dec