Changing trend in congenital abdominal wall defects in Eastern region of Ireland.
AffiliationDublin EUROCAT Registry, Department of Public Health, Health Information Unit, Eastern Regional Health Authority, Dr Steeven's Hospital, Republic of Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Local subject classificationBIRTH DEFECTS
PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMcDonnell R, Delaney V, Dack P, Johnson H. Changing trend in congenital abdominal wall defects in Eastern region of Ireland. Ir Med J. 2002, 95 (8):236, 238
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractIn the past six years, there have been reports from abroad of an unexplained rise in the birth prevalence rate of the congenital abdominal wall defect gastroschisis, while rates for the macroscopically similar anomaly omphalocoele have remained stable. The Dublin EUROCAT Registry of congenital anomalies monitors trends in the birth prevalence of birth defects in the eastern region of Ireland. We analysed births of children with omphalocoele and gastroschisis born in the period 1981-2000, with comparisons of a number of demographic and obstetric variables. During the 20 year period the birth prevalence rate for omphalocoele remained stable at 2.5/10,000 births, whereas the rate for gastroschisis increased significantly during the 1990s from 1.0/10,000 in 1991 to 4.9/10,000 in 2000. Most of the increase occurred among mothers under 25 years of age. Omphalocoele was associated with a relatively high proportion of other major congenital anomalies. This study showed that there has been an unexpected rise in the birth prevalence of gastroschisis in the region, similar to that experienced in other countries in the same time period and likely to have common aetiological features.
- The rising prevalence of gastroschisis and omphalocele in Tennessee.
- Authors: Collins SR, Griffin MR, Arbogast PG, Walsh WF, Rush MR, Carter BS, Dudley J, Cooper WO
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Gastroschisis and omphalocele in Singapore: a ten-year series from 1993 to 2002.
- Authors: Tan KB, Tan KH, Chew SK, Yeo GS
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Changing profile of abdominal wall defects in Japan: results of a national survey.
- Authors: Suita S, Okamatsu T, Yamamoto T, Handa N, Nirasawa Y, Watanabe Y, Yanagihara J, Nishijima E, Hirobe S, Nio M, Gomi A, Horisawa M
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- The changing face of gastroschisis and omphalocele in southeast Georgia.
- Authors: Goldkrand JW, Causey TN, Hull EE
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Rising incidence of gastroschisis and exomphalos in New Zealand.
- Authors: Srivastava V, Mandhan P, Pringle K, Morreau P, Beasley S, Samarakkody U
- Issue date: 2009 Mar