Occlusive ascending aorta and arch atheroma treated with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest and thromboendarterectomy.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Local subject classificationAORTIC OCCLUSION
Circulatory Arrest, Deep Hypothermia Induced
Severity of Illness Index
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOcclusive ascending aorta and arch atheroma treated with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest and thromboendarterectomy. 2013, 17 (6):1045-7 Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg
JournalInteractive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
AbstractWe describe an uncommon presentation of severely advanced aortic atherosclerosis in a 48-year old man with a history of hypertension and heavy smoking. Initial presentation with upper limb ischaemia led to the diagnosis of an aortic arch atheroma occluding 90% of the aortic lumen, managed with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest and aortic thromboendarterectomy. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of atherosclerotic plaque resulting in aortic occlusion and requiring emergent operative intervention.
- Symptomatic atherosclerotic occlusive disease of all supra-aortic arch vessels treated with total aortic arch rerouting.
- Authors: Weigang E, Parker J, Gast KK, Vahl CF
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Diagnosis and management of severe atherosclerosis of the ascending aorta and aortic arch during cardiac surgery: focus on aortic replacement.
- Authors: Zingone B, Rauber E, Gatti G, Pappalardo A, Benussi B, Forti G, Tognolli U, Gabrielli M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Redo surgery in ascending aorta and aortic arch.
- Authors: Chiesa R, Bertoglio L, Kahlberg A, Rinaldi E, Tshomba Y, Melissano G
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Safer aortic crossclamping during short-term moderate hypothermic circulatory arrest for cardiac surgery in patients with a bad ascending aorta.
- Authors: Takami Y, Tajima K, Terazawa S, Okada N, Fujii K, Sakai Y
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Clinical outcomes in hybrid repair procedures for pathologies involving the aortic arch.
- Authors: Zerwes S, Leissner G, Gosslau Y, Jakob R, Bruijnen HK, Oertl F, Woelfle K
- Issue date: 2015 Feb