Youth mental health in deprived urban areas: a Delphi study on the role of the GP in early intervention.
AffiliationGraduate Entry Medical School, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland.
KeywordsMENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER
Local subject classificationMENTAL HEALTH
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSchaffalitzky E et al. Youth mental health in deprived urban areas: a Delphi study on the role of the GP in early intervention. Ir J Med Sci 2014 Sep 6 [epub ahead of print]
PublisherIrish journal of medical science
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractGPs, as healthcare professionals with whom young people commonly interact, have a central role in early intervention for mental health problems. However, successfully fulfilling this role is a challenge, and this is especially in deprived urban areas.
To inform a complex intervention to support GPs in this important role, we aim to identify the key areas in which general practice can help address youth mental health and strategies to enhance implementation.
We conducted a modified Delphi study which involved establishing an expert panel involving key stakeholders/service providers at two deprived urban areas. The group reviewed emerging literature on the topic at a series of meetings and consensus was facilitated by iterative surveys.
We identified 20 individual roles in which GPs could help address youth mental health, across five domains: (1) prevention, health promotion and access, (2) assessment and identification, (3) treatment strategies, (4) interaction with other agencies/referral, and (5) ongoing support. With regard to strategies to enhance implementation, we identified a further 19 interventions, across five domains: (1) training, (2) consultation improvements, (3) service-level changes, (4) collaboration, and (5) healthcare-system changes.
GPs have a key role in addressing youth mental health and this study highlights the key domains of this role and the key components of a complex intervention to support this role.
- Primary care and youth mental health in Ireland: qualitative study in deprived urban areas.
- Authors: Leahy D, Schaffalitzky E, Armstrong C, Bury G, Cussen-Murphy P, Davis R, Dooley B, Gavin B, Keane R, Keenan E, Latham L, Meagher D, McGorry P, McNicholas F, O'Connor R, O'Dea E, O'Keane V, O'Toole TP, Reilly E, Ryan P, Sanci L, Smyth BP, Cullen W
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 17
- Primary care support for youth mental health: a preliminary evidence base for Ireland's Mid-West.
- Authors: Healy D, Naqvi S, Meagher D, Cullen W, Dunne C
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Educational interventions: equipping general practice for youth mental health and substance abuse. A discussion paper.
- Authors: O'Regan A, Schaffalitzky E, Cullen W
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Identifying the key features and outcomes of family navigation services for mental health and/or addictions concerns: a Delphi study.
- Authors: Markoulakis R, Chan S, Levitt A
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 28
- What is the role of general practice in addressing youth mental health? A discussion paper.
- Authors: Cullen W, Broderick N, Connolly D, Meagher D
- Issue date: 2012 Jun