KeywordsQUALITY OF LIFE
Local subject classificationBOWEL DYSFUNCTION
MetadataShow full item record
CitationO'Brien, Tony. The Attractiveness of Opposites: Agonists and Antagonists. 2015: J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother
JournalJournal of pain & palliative care pharmacotherapy
AbstractABSTRACT Opioid-induced bowel dysfunction, of which constipation is the most common aspect, is a major limiting factor in the use of opioids for pain management. The availability of an oral, long-acting formulation of oxycodone and naloxone represents a highly significant development in pain management. The combination of an opioid analgesic with an opioid antagonist offers reliable pain control with a significant reduction in the burden of opioid-induced constipation. This report is adapted from paineurope 2014; Issue 3, ©Haymarket Medical Publications Ltd, and is presented with permission. paineurope is provided as a service to pain management by Mundipharma International, LTD and is distributed free of charge to healthcare professionals in Europe. Archival issues can be accessed via the website: http://www.paineurope.com at which European health professionals can register online to receive copies of the quarterly publication.
- Analgesic efficacy and safety of oxycodone in combination with naloxone as prolonged release tablets in patients with moderate to severe chronic pain.
- Authors: Vondrackova D, Leyendecker P, Meissner W, Hopp M, Szombati I, Hermanns K, Ruckes C, Weber S, Grothe B, Fleischer W, Reimer K
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- High doses of oxycodone-naloxone combination may provide poor analgesia.
- Authors: Mercadante S, Ferrera P, Adile C
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- A randomised controlled trial with prolonged-release oral oxycodone and naloxone to prevent and reverse opioid-induced constipation.
- Authors: Meissner W, Leyendecker P, Mueller-Lissner S, Nadstawek J, Hopp M, Ruckes C, Wirz S, Fleischer W, Reimer K
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- [A year of chronic pain with Targin--experience from daily practice. Interview with Dr. Patricia Fehlmann].
- Authors: Fehlmann P
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 29
- [Quality of life suffers much in constipation. Plea for an intelligent pain therapy].
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 31