Validating the 5Fs mnemonic for cholelithiasis: time to include family history.
Body Mass Index
Medical History Taking
MetadataShow full item record
CitationValidating the 5Fs mnemonic for cholelithiasis: time to include family history. 2013, 89 (1057):638-41 Postgrad Med J
JournalPostgraduate medical journal
AbstractThe time-honoured mnemonic of '5Fs' is a reminder to students that patients with upper abdominal pain and who conform to a profile of 'fair, fat, female, fertile and forty' are likely to have cholelithiasis. We feel, however, that a most important 'F'-that for 'family history'-is overlooked and should be introduced to enhance the value of a useful aide memoire.
- Independent risk factors for gallstone formation in a region with high cholelithiasis prevalence.
- Authors: Völzke H, Baumeister SE, Alte D, Hoffmann W, Schwahn C, Simon P, John U, Lerch MM
- Issue date: 2005
- Ten-year incidence and natural history of gallstone disease in a rural population of women in central Italy. The Rome Group for the Epidemiology and Prevention of Cholelithiasis (GREPCO).
- Authors: Angelico F, Del Ben M, Barbato A, Conti R, Urbinati G
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- An increased familial frequency of gallstones.
- Authors: Gilat T, Feldman C, Halpern Z, Dan M, Bar-Meir S
- Issue date: 1983 Feb
- [Epidemiology of gallbladder calculi in young females].
- Authors: Pannwitz H, Nürnberg D, Berndt H
- Issue date: 1990 Jul